Classic Register details of members cars?

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Would you be happy to provide your eligible car information to build a Club Register?

Poll ended at 21 Jan 2010, 22:52

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Maybe - more information required
No votes

Total votes : 8

Classic Register details of members cars?

Postby 001 Neville » 22 Nov 2009, 22:49

I've been wondering what you members think of actually creating a "register" of the members cars, eg, registrations numbers, whatever history you can provide, photos, etc so that over time we can build up a picture of all the Opels on the Forum (in New Zealand) and if anyone is looking to buy one of these cars, it will be a useful reference for purchasers.

It would evidently be voluntary, but if not enough people want to, then probably pointless. It will also be more work for me, so not sure why I want to start this, but would like to start with the Straight Six owners on the Forum - again... in NZ only.

The information would be kept offline, so could not be "hacked" into for personal details etc.

What do you think? Anyone?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Re: Classic Register details of members cars?

Postby 002 Lindsay » 01 Dec 2009, 08:12

sounds ok Neville of course you want too do it your so good at this :wink: :wink:
002 Lindsay, Nelson
002 Lindsay

Postby 001 Neville » 09 Dec 2009, 22:05

I'd originally set up the "club" as a register to record the car details, but somehow never got any further with that side of things, Lindsay.

From the looks of the poor response to the poll, it doesn't look like anyone else is interested one way or the other.... :roll: :(
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 028 Sean » 23 Jul 2010, 07:09

Don't give up Nev!!!! Old Opel's are getting very rare around the Globe so any kind of factual details or home built records kept by you will become really valuable to all of us Opel enthusiasts as time goes on mate.

JM2PW! :P
028 Sean

Postby 001 Neville » 23 Jul 2010, 12:31

Thanks for the encouragement, Sean, but only eight members bothered to reply, so not really worth "flogging a dead horse" :roll:

I've got enough on my plate now anyway, with this new business to build up. So many people are paranoid about giving personal information, even the bare minimum just to become a Forum member.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 020 Brad » 24 Jul 2010, 01:04

Sorry Neville, I would have posted up my comments earlier, but I didn't think a negative perspective would have helped at that time. Now though, perhaps it might help to understand a perspective of some of those who didn't respond?

I think these types of registers are a lot of work, as you know. I've seen several attempts on other forums and they are never even remotely up to date, despite best efforts. As you know, a lot of people just can't really be bothered with the internet and the majority of members on forums are simply inactive or at best "lurkers" who often browse but seldom post. For this reason, it would be hard to get accurate information on who owns what car, and where that particular vehicle currently resides, or if its even still alive.

Systems like carjam.co.nz provide an absolutely fantastic resource for tracking vehicles' situations and I think at best, you could look at doing some sort of data capture from a system like this to find the amount of Opels still registered, cross referencing where they are registered if you are able to retrieve this data from the licensing database?

Just my 2 cents anyway, I think I better give up before I ramble on too much more.
020 Brad

Postby 001 Neville » 24 Jul 2010, 20:29

For a price, I was able to get a listing of all Opels on the NZTA register and their town/city a couple of years ago, but that did not give rego plates so I cant track them down specifically. Could maybe place an advert in the relevant newspapers?

What do people think of Twitter/Facebook as a medium to advertise the Forum? Is it only the teens who are using those?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 020 Brad » 25 Jul 2010, 20:02

001 Neville wrote:What do people think of Twitter/Facebook as a medium to advertise the Forum? Is it only the teens who are using those?

No, its not really just the teens, though by teens I imagine you are meaning younger folk in general. Every person I know (I'm 26) uses Facebook, including myself, despite the fact that I despise it. Unfortunately its a necersary evil if you want to follow peoples progress easily overseas and it makes it much easier for them to communicate back here, ie rather than sending mass emails etc they can just update a single page that all can see.

That said, I don't know if too much promotion is needed. Providing an area that has a relaxed and enthusiastic social aspect, along with a helpful technical base is key and if we can create this, people will come. I know its a bit of a cliche but I think its true.

This site is in no ways difficult to find if you have a desire to find it. Hopefully those people who want to find it will in turn, want to use it and post regularly along with contributing as best they can. Obviously this is easier said than done, because finding time to browse the internet gets more and more difficult as life goes on (am I suggesting that the general owner base of Opel vehicles is approaching their older years? Never.. :P )

So to summarise, you could advertise it everywhere and wave it under the nose of every one who might even be remotely interested but if they haven't gone out to find a place like this themselves, I strongly believe they won't contribute much, if at all.
020 Brad

Postby 001 Neville » 25 Jul 2010, 21:12

020 Brad wrote:
This site is in no ways difficult to find if you have a desire to find it. Hopefully those people who want to find it will in turn, want to use it and post regularly along with contributing as best they can. Obviously this is easier said than done, because finding time to browse the internet gets more and more difficult as life goes on (am I suggesting that the general owner base of Opel vehicles is approaching their older years? Never.. :P )

So to summarise, you could advertise it everywhere and wave it under the nose of every one who might even be remotely interested but if they haven't gone out to find a place like this themselves, I strongly believe they won't contribute much, if at all.

Cool! I was hoping that was the case as it saves me having to set up Facebook and Twitter pages. We've got enough people on the Forum already who have never posted in all the time they've been registered.... :|
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 302 Ted C » 14 Aug 2017, 20:23

Hello Neville I think we should have an Opel register in fact I would have thought that is part of the reason for the whole affair, to know who's got what. I would have no hesitation to give the details of my car.
Cheers
Ted
302 Ted C

Postby 001 Neville » 15 Aug 2017, 00:05

I would have loved to get that up and running, Ted, but was always dependent on members telling me what they have and when they buy/sell cars. The new Privacy Act would have meant I was required to keep all details secure and secret etc, etc, so rather than flog a dead horse, I gave up on the idea.

I do try to keep informal notes on what models members have, but no reg plates or details.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 302 Ted C » 15 Aug 2017, 09:39

Hi Neville and all, I was president of the Holden Club here in Blenheim and I had a register for all Holdens in the Club and everyone was aware of that fact as I put out a list of the vehicles and owners, as I said, this is all a part of having a club, and when the members give you the details of their car they are aware that the info could be on the clubs site. I do understand your caution but it is a social thing and surely we are able to live in this world as well. I would love to know what is in the club and we also had a huge photo album as well. Most members like to see pics of their car and details as I did a Holden Club Magazine every month with pics and details in it for events and members vehicles past, present and future etc. We did Holden Heaven, car display, over here and raised $3500.00 for child cancer which I have to say we were very proud of doing. Just some thoughts here.
Cheers
Ted Church
302 Ted C

Postby 302 Ted C » 15 Aug 2017, 09:43

Hi again, Usually when you join a club the car also has to join too, so the details of your vehicle are part of joining up. I'll stop raving on now hehe thank you all for reading my post.
Cheers
Ted
302 Ted C

Postby 001 Neville » 15 Aug 2017, 10:52

Thanks for your feedback, Ted.

We do encourage members to post up pics of their cars on the website, in the "Garage" which is not visible to non-members, but as always, requires buy-in from members to post up the pics.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 001 Neville » 23 Aug 2017, 12:20

I do post up pics of the cars at shows too, but with just one show in north and one in south each year, it is a long time between new photos ;-)
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Return to Car & General Chat