New Purchase

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

New Purchase

Postby 014 Phil » 21 Jan 2011, 20:52

Well, there's been a change of plans re my daily driver. I was hoping to have the Royale on the road by rego expiry of my VC Commodore in May. I've accepted this won't happen & was going to have to do some repairs (replacing steering race & motor) to get it through rego.

Plans changed mid last week. I've purchased a V8 VN Commodore Berlina sedan. Purchased sight unseen, so wasn't quite sure what it was going to be like. :shock:

I picked it up last Saturday.
A few issues to sort out - a/c not working, nor is the radio. Actually drives better than I expected - VNs can be rubbish, but this seems to be a well maintained car. I was pleased to be told that it only had 215,000 kms on the clock, but after the trip home, it still shows the same kms! Oh well. :(

Interior is in quite good condition (haven't had time to vac yet).
(Ben will be proud of me.......... :lol: :lol: )

And the reason to buy this car.............
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Re: New Purchase

Postby 118 Ben N » 21 Jan 2011, 22:25

Great car just awesome,a wolf in sheep closes,we shut of had those here in europe..
The V8,s have power from idle till end,and on fuel they are not bad,a 6 cil wit the same power output uses just as much fuel,just love the v8 from holden,solid,easy build,good on fuel,and heaps of torque.

By the way Phil,if ure planning to do the 304 wiring in the Monza ureself,i am more than happy to help u out,as the wiring is a piece of cake,its scarey that some people sell looms for 550 or 700$ as the wiring is very easy.
118 Ben N

Postby 014 Phil » 21 Jan 2011, 23:00

Air-conditioning is now fixed - cost: $100
Windows are tinted - cost: $150
Next mission - get radio working

The original owners manual was dropped in to me earlier this week. Remembering that it now shows 215000 kms, the last documented service in the books was November '96. At this time it had 157,000 kms on it. If we say the average car does 20,000 kms per year, that would now put the VN at approximately 500,000 kms. :eek:

Ben, I have a mate lined up to do the wiring. Mine will be a little more complicated as I have Holden instrument cluster, controls including control stalk, and air-cond going in. Thanks for the offer. If anything changes I'll give you a yell. :D
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Postby 118 Ben N » 22 Jan 2011, 01:06

Ow phil would u look at VN how the waterhoses run,because i wanne bring my engine to live on a pallet,and need to know how the water hoses run that go the interiour heater:

I have 2 mounts on the waterpump,one of them has a small hose that go,s to the intake manifold and from the manifold there is hose going to the heater i gues,and the empty mounth on the waterpump go,s to the heater i think...Right?
I took all the hoses off,because i replace them by new ones...But i need to be 100% sure.

And as u have a running 304 u can help me a little.
118 Ben N

Postby 014 Phil » 23 Jan 2011, 21:41

Hi Ben

Hope this helps. It's quite difficult to get good clear pictures, but here we go.

The top photo shows the two outlets you referred to. Looking from the front, the one on the left runs up & along the right side of the inlet manifold (again, as you are looking at it from the front). The right one runs up to an inlet at the base of the manifold. The pipe then runs from an outlet just above that and runs along the left side of the manifold. You can just see an arrow on the pipe which I assume shows direction of flow going to the heater.
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Return to Car & General Chat