2011 South Island Meet - May 8th?

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Re: 2011 South Island Meet - May 8th?

Postby 001 Neville » 29 Apr 2011, 13:55

Graham has many cars but I'm sure he said he'd use his Calibra if there was going to be a club display. I'll PM you his phone number.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 117 Alan F » 29 Apr 2011, 15:00

I'll be there on both days. Would be nice to have had Cavalier Coupe up and running as you suggested but it hasn't been out for 4 years and would need wof/reg etc. 5 speed Getrag (ex Manta)gearbox still sitting there waiting to replace std 4 speeder. I'd feel a bit too modern in Vectra or Frontera on the Rotary run, so I'll be in the wee Bedford HA van. It is related, and if you squint hard enough you can imagine the relationship to a Kadett of the period. I'll keep cellphone on me (027 681 9646) if anyone wants to make contact.
117 Alan F

Postby 001 Neville » 29 Apr 2011, 15:16

117 Alan F wrote:I'll be there on both days. Would be nice to have had Cavalier Coupe up and running as you suggested but it hasn't been out for 4 years and would need wof/reg etc. 5 speed Getrag (ex Manta)gearbox still sitting there waiting to replace std 4 speeder.

You've got until this Friday! What are you waiting for???? :lol:

I fitted a 5 speed Getrag in my Ascona B instead of the standard 4 speed. Made all the difference! What are your timescales on getting it done and back on the road?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 001 Neville » 03 May 2011, 13:58

Just yesterday noticed that Sunday is Mothers Day! :shock:

That may have a big impact on my ability to get there on Sunday! Since the wife and family don't share my enthusiasm for car stuff, they are not going to be impressed with me disappearing off on Saturday and Sunday to Ashburton! :roll:

:x Darn it! Of all the weekends free, the organisers choose one that clashes with a family day.....
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 033 Ken » 03 May 2011, 14:32

heres an idea, do the mothers day stuff on saturday, it will be more spontaneous lol. remember Neville it is easier to get forgiveness than approval lol.
033 Ken

Postby 117 Alan F » 03 May 2011, 18:45

I see you mentioned to Ken from Dunedin that the Rotary run will finish back at Christchurch, but its not that bad. There are 2 Ruapunas. The one we'll be going to is not near the race track at Ch. Its just a rural area inland of Ashburton (nearer Mayfield).
Is there any enthusiasm for a meal out if anyone is staying over on Sat night ? I can plan to stay over if that is on.

I"m having a change of heart on what to bring, seeing all those modernish Opel-Vauxhall vehicles lined up to come and might come in '04 Vectra diesel afterall, -I don't think these organisers have any limits.
117 Alan F

Postby 001 Neville » 03 May 2011, 21:44

117 Alan F wrote:I see you mentioned to Ken from Dunedin that the Rotary run will finish back at Christchurch, but its not that bad. There are 2 Ruapunas. The one we'll be going to is not near the race track at Ch. Its just a rural area inland of Ashburton (nearer Mayfield).

Really??? I didn't know that there was two Ruapunas. I figured that if the drive was 70kms or so, then that would get us back to Chch on the inland route.....

117 Alan F wrote:Is there any enthusiasm for a meal out if anyone is staying over on Sat night ? I can plan to stay over if that is on.
I"m having a change of heart on what to bring, seeing all those modernish Opel-Vauxhall vehicles lined up to come and might come in '04 Vectra diesel afterall, -I don't think these organisers have any limits.

Not staying over myself, and may now only be up for the Sunday excursion as explained above. Would be good to have a closer look over your Vectra .... since you haven't got the Cavalier sorted :wink: :lol:
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 001 Neville » 06 May 2011, 12:09

In fact, Alan, I was talking to the wife of Owen Moore who is one of the organisers, and in his absence, she told me it was close to Ruapuna racetrack in Christchurch. Some definite mis-communication going on here! :?

Oh well, as long as we all start from the same place, registering at the racetrack in Ashburton before 10am, then hopefully they will be handing out maps and we'll all end up at the right Ruapuna (near Mayfield?) :lol: Once registration is completed, we apparently go out and join the car parade through Ashburton, before heading off on the route.

Just need to get my Monza rego updated for the weekend since it is currently on hold .... oh, and need to pray for good weather since it is wet and miserable out there today!
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 002 Lindsay » 06 May 2011, 16:39

You go through Arundel and its on the left of the Arundel Rakaia gorge highway before you get to Mayfield , blink and you will miss it,not far from Peel forest and mt Peel if i remember,providing you are coming from the north west :?:
002 Lindsay, Nelson
002 Lindsay

Postby 001 Neville » 06 May 2011, 18:23

Thanks Lindsay. There is some property there that is being used.

Weather is apparently going to be wet tomorrow and clearing up on Sunday.

I will NOT be there tomorrow, sorry, but will see others at registration from 8.30 to 10am on Sunday for the rally. I aim to be there about 9.30 myself.

Cheers
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 033 Ken » 10 May 2011, 12:15

I enjoyed the club run in the weekend, some nice unusall cars to look at including a lambo LP640, it was probably the first one ever to be in a cow paddock that wasn't by accident lol. We had to leave early so no pics by us but hopefully Neville snapped some pictures.

Saturday drive to Christcurch before the rally was in terrible conditions including some surface flooding which i hit at about 70k lol. Christchurch it's self was an eye opener, still waterstations and portaloos for the public, and flectcher construction talking 20 years of work ahead!!!!

Sunday on the way home after the rally we had the best burgers ever( no not the double down KFC thing) but from the the fish and chippie that has the best fresh blue cod and chips in the south, well i thinkanyway. Big thanks to Lochies in Hampden.

The Calibra went well in total we covered exactly 1000k we filled in dunedin from nearly empty $125.00 and leaving christchurch on sunday i put another $60 in. A total of approx 78l but i have more fuel in the car now than when i left. Not bad for a 20 year old car considering the bulk of the open road driving was not at 100k lol and urban driving throught christchurch.
033 Ken

Postby 001 Neville » 12 May 2011, 21:35

Not a very large turnout from members, so special thanks to Ken and Alan for showing up with your cars. 8)

The final venue was a working farm, so as Ken says, we all got to park in a big field - cowpats and all! :roll: - which would have been a big shock so some car owners there who had to endure an unsealed road to get there too!

The route was circuitous - we only got lost three times was it, Ken? - but ended up at the right place. At least I'm assuming it was the right place since we must have all misread the directions otherwise :lol:

The post-'50s convertibles got to park together for judging. I followed Ken in and a local Senator owner parked close by too. Alan's Vectra C was further away..... sorry Alan!

OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 033 Ken » 12 May 2011, 21:45

It was a good day out Neville, i didn't see your passenger, i pressume you had one to take the photo while on the move lol. Hopefully next outing will have more members, we could do a economy run.
033 Ken

Postby 001 Neville » 12 May 2011, 21:57

033 Ken wrote:It was a good day out Neville, i didn't see your passenger, i pressume you had one to take the photo while on the move lol.

Bit of velcro does wonders - when I remember to set the camera up initially! :oops:
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Car & General Chat