omega a and b parts interchangible???

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

omega a and b parts interchangible???

Postby 017 Michael » 11 Oct 2010, 21:39

now are any parts from the omega b compatible with the omega A??? as in diff?
cheers
2x86 opel monza
017 Michael

Re: omega a and b parts interchangible???

Postby 001 Neville » 11 Oct 2010, 21:44

I would have thought it unlikely, Michael, as they are totally different cars - design team started with a clean sheet, if I recall correctly.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 020 Brad » 12 Oct 2010, 08:13

I can't confirm Michael, but I don't believe the above is quite true. While the Omega B is a vastly different car and not just a "facelift" by any means, I still think it was built around the same platform as such. I believe struts and some suspension components are interchangable between the two variantions, so there may be a chance that the diff can be swapped between the two also. Its unlikely the carrier is the same, but a quick comparison between them should tell for sure.

If I were you, I would ask on an international forum that deals with both models, probably a Vauxhall one dealing with Carltons and Omegas, because its easier to get something understandable than the Germany/European forums.
020 Brad

Postby 028 Sean » 27 Oct 2010, 00:10

017 Michael wrote:now are any parts from the omega b compatible with the omega A??? as in diff?

Yes, they are Michael. I know for a fact that the Omega A 3000's 3.70 : 1 LSD internals are interchangeable with the Omega B's 3.90 : 1 open differential as we fitted the old LSD off of my C30SE engined DTM Replica into the casing of my mate Steve's C20LET engined Omega B Turbo Estate! :wink:

You can also unbolt the Omega B's crown wheel and pinion (that have ratios from 3.90 : 1 to 4.22 : 1 on the TD automatics) and fit these newer items into an Omega A's or Senator B's rear differential to gain better acceleration on these slightly older Opel models. Of course any acceleration gains from this means that the car will now have a lower top speed but how many of us can truly max out our cars these days without getting into serious trouble?? So, knocking a good second or two off the cars standard 0 to 100kph time is much more use in these speed restricted times IMHO.

Even with really old Opel's like the 1970's Commodore B (which has a live rear axle)....you'll find that internals of the rear differential are fully interchangeable with Monza's/Royale's (which has independant rears), Omega A's, Senator B's and even the newer 1990's/2000's Omega B's! I found this this last bit of intertesting information when Alf fitted an Omega 3000 24v LSD into the live rear axle of Nev's old Opel Commodore B GS....

HTH! :P
028 Sean

Postby 001 Neville » 29 Oct 2010, 15:05

028 Sean wrote:
017 Michael wrote:now are any parts from the omega b compatible with the omega A??? as in diff?

Even with really old Opel's like the 1970's Commodore B (which has a live rear axle)....you'll find that internals of the rear differential are fully interchangeable with Monza's/Royale's (which has independant rears), Omega A's, Senator B's and even the newer 1990's/2000's Omega B's! I found this this last bit of intertesting information when Alf fitted an Omega 3000 24v LSD into the live rear axle of Nev's old Opel Commodore B GS....

Didn't know that. This is where the forum is so useful as members have a wide range of technical knowledge
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 028 Sean » 30 Oct 2010, 01:08

001 Neville wrote:Didn't know that.

Yeah, Its been written about quite extensively on the Bahnstormers forum Nev! :wink:

My friend Dirk Lohmann over in Germany was the last person asking about such things on the ABS forum as he originally just wanted a 3.90 : 1 ratio crown wheel and pinion to fit onto the Monza's LSD and then into the differential casing of his 24v Manza Race car. Both Stuart Granger and myself pointed Dirk in the direction of the Omega B for these parts as we have both done similar swaps in the past....

But on finding out just what was available on Vauxhall/Opel's EPC, Dirk went for the 4.22 : 1 ratio (for phenomenal acceleration...who needs stupidly high top speeds eh??) common Omega B differential parts instead Nev.

028 Sean

Postby 001 Neville » 31 Oct 2010, 19:31

I don't tend to read the technical forums too much ..... :oops: ... most of it is over my head, so best to leave that to chaps like you, Sean :wink:
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Return to Car & General Chat