Some photos from Blighty!!

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Some photos from Blighty!!

Postby 010 Alf » 21 Jul 2010, 09:56

Hello Chaps,

I attended a car show Sunday at the Bentley Wildfowl and Motor Museum trust Nr. Lewes, East Sussex, I'll put a few photos of some of my favourite cars on for you but I must tell you about the Rolls Royce parked next to me! You wont mistake it when you scroll through the photos, it's 80 years old, has a hand built 2 seater all alloy body and then there's the small matter of the engine, it's a 27 Litre Spitfire unit!! When the car started I thought it was going to suck me into the Carbs, the noise was music to my ears, straight pipes and no baffles, apparently the exhaust gases were measured at 175 Mph as they exit!! It had a two speed gearbox connected to the engine through another, step-up gearbox using a Torque convertor to transmit the 1,500 Ft/Lbs of torque!!

It's a stunning car, fully road legal and the owner has just got back from driving it to watch the Le Mans Classic race so it's no trailer queen!! I can't begin to imagine how much fuel it got through!! One little story he was telling me is that he was parked outside a restaurant, all the windows were open and the tables laid, when he started it up to leave, the exhausts were facing the windows, it blew all the tablecloths and cutlery off and the two nearest tables were blown over as well, he left a bit sharpish!!

Anyway, here's just a few of the cars I liked.........

Cheers,
Alf.

010 Alf

Re: Some photos from Blighty!!

Postby 001 Neville » 21 Jul 2010, 22:39

OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 001 Neville » 21 Jul 2010, 22:40

OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 001 Neville » 21 Jul 2010, 22:47

What Alf hasn't told you, because he doesn't like to blow his own trumpet, is that his Commodore won first equal prize with a restored Jaguar E Type! How about that! The car was still fly splattered from the drive back from Billing too

If he had lived local to the show, he could have ended up driving the local beauty queen to local events :wink: , but the E-type has drawn that role.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 010 Alf » 21 Jul 2010, 23:38

Thanks for embarassing me Neville!! :oops:

Officially I came second, it was the organiser that wanted my car and the E-Type to hold joint first but it wasn't practical as the winner would be expected to attend various activities within the County, such as transporting the Beauty Queen!! Just as well I didn't win, at my age, it might have been too much for me!! :roll:

I was very flattered to even be selected for the top ten, the standard of cars was so high I was stunned, the Organiser told me the final decision was made on a "which car would you like to drive home" basis and that's the reason they scored my car so highly, I think they glossed over the fly spattered front end!! The E-Type was a truly gorgeous car and worthy winner, I only went for the day out, I had no intention of competing at all, funny how things work out sometimes!!

I had a great day and I hope the photos bring back some happy memories for your members, they did for me! 8)

Cheers,
Alf.
010 Alf

Postby 002 Lindsay » 22 Jul 2010, 21:33

Dont be embarressed Alf you should be bloody proud well done 8) 8)
002 Lindsay, Nelson
002 Lindsay

Postby 001 Neville » 23 Jul 2010, 12:19

I've been asked to request that any ABS members keep this story under their hat for a while since Steve Bunney is doing a writeup for the Autobahnstormers newsletter Straight Six News. Steve's is the white Bitter in one of the pics - based on the Opel Senator A for those who have recently joined the Opel Forum.

OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Return to Car & General Chat