opel monza 24v conversion

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

opel monza 24v conversion

Postby 017 Michael » 22 Mar 2010, 21:39

hey guys

well this is just the start off what will be a very long topic hahahaha.just purchused a opel 24v 3l motor and getrag 265 box of brad,plans for it is for it to be put into my spare monza.before anyone starts crying about hacking into a monza i might aswell add that the interior is rather sun f..ked and the body not in the perfectness of tidy either, due to it sitting in a paddock for years, auto box is blown and rego is dead

plans are to fully cage it,and turn it into a track car.all helps being a engineer :D ive read up a bit of info about these motors but does anyone have any other info about conversion or motor etc?? im still in debate wether to turbo it with the basic t-25 turbos like the lotus carlton or just rebuild it as a standard blueprint n/a motor.so anyones thoughts or own opion will be well argueed with :D no will be rather gratfull

really things like the rear hatch,bonnet,etc i would like to remake in fiberglass and a poly substance to save wieght and also to save decent monza parts as undamged spares.

2x86 opel monza
017 Michael

Re: opel monza 24v conversion

Postby 001 Neville » 22 Mar 2010, 23:23

Well, I would suggest you PM to Alf as he fitted a 24v into my old Commodore, and would know a bit about them. Ian would have been another member to contact since he has already done to a Monza in UK just what you are planning, but his registration has dropped off due to not being used for the last 12 months!

OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 118 Ben N » 23 Mar 2010, 03:38

I have done the conversion 2 times now.
And its really easy you need to change a couple of things:

The front swaybar must be lowerd 1,5-2cm bij spacer blocks or else you can change the oilfilter

Fuel lines must move to the other side

You need a custom made flywheel with 8 bolts for the cranck instead of 6.(i have a adres from a guy in Gemany who makes them in combination with a BMW 6 serie changed pressure plate that can handle the torque easy and a normal 9inche 30E friction plate.)

You need to change the exhaust take the first part from the Senator B or Omega and weld it to your own Monza middle pipes.

You need to make a alternator bracket or else your alternator will hit the chassie because:

http://www.senator-monza.de/index.php?w ... TM9EkUBBVT
You need to place a reservoir for your power steering pump

You need to place the vacuum tank for the dual-ram valve

Its not very hard,wiring is very easy:
http://www.senator-monza.de/index.php?z ... TM9EkUBBVT

I know the links are in German but i can translate them for you if you want.

If you need any help,just ask.
118 Ben N

Postby 118 Ben N » 23 Mar 2010, 06:57

By they way you live in NZ and there is something much more interesting in that part of the world than the 3.0 24V in Europe....

The Holden V8 304 EFI,and that engine fits in a Monza aswel,i drove a Holden Commodore VR 304 automatic in Australia as my holiday car and with a changed memcal it was faster than a stock 3.0 24V with a 5 speed and had heaps more torque.

My friend in Melbourne send that engine from my car to me and i put it in my Monza,its faster than a 3.0 24V and has more torque..

If you want power and torque that engine would be my first choise,and there are plenty of spare parts available,and the 3.0 24V parts are harder to get and cost heaps more..
118 Ben N

Postby 020 Brad » 23 Mar 2010, 10:44

Did the engine make it to you in one piece Michael? I wrapped the shit out of it, so it should have been sweet hopefully!

I can't help with fitment but it doesn't sound too complex luckily. It will look right at home in there too, and the sound of a tuned straight 6 will be wonderful.

My vote for tuning goes to the 6 individual throttle idea like we discussed on the phone. It will be cheaper and easier than mucking around with turbos, it will sound fantastic and it will produce more than enough power for what you need. Using simple logic, a very torquey 300hp should be easily achievable. The other side of it is that keeping it NA will put you into a better class for competition than having an open class car, which forced induction would put you in to.

Also, if you were to turbo it just go with a big single. It works out far better overall and will be simpler and cheaper than trying to muck around with two turbos.
020 Brad

Postby 021 Chad » 23 Mar 2010, 11:21

I vote for 6 throttles, it would sound beyond awesome!

As far as V8 transplanting is concerned, unlike Europe, were neck deep in Australian V8's and cars with aussie V8's shoe horned into them. To do that to a Monza locally would make it rather common and destroy it's point of difference, the C30SE is a beutiful mill and makes for a totally unique project.
Yamaha XJR1300
Opel Vectra GT 16v AKA: "Evil Opel", AKA:"The Chavalier"
021 Chad

Postby 118 Ben N » 23 Mar 2010, 13:32

Mmm mabey yeah,down under V8,s are as common as eucalyptus trees and kagaroos.

I can understand the idea of a straight six 24V,but if you do it for performance than i would give you the V8 as advice.

The 24V is a great engine,good on fuel and pretty solid,but has a few weak things:timing chain like to break above 200.000
dizzy like to run out of oil (because there oil canal got stuck with old thick oil) and than the dizzy breaks down.
Its not really powerfull in the lower rpm area,and with trottle body there will be less torque because of the bad cylinder filling in the lower area,s.

And 300hp out a n/a 24V is a real lot...230/250 possible for not a big budget but 300hp....Wil cost heaps.

If you need any new/second hand parts from a 24V like:timing chains or gaskets loom 24V flywheel for Getrag 265/240 use or whatever just contact me.

Up here in the northen hemisphere i will be the first that puts a Holden 304 in a Monza, :D
I am the first that has a decent V8 that is made for a engine room like a Monza/Senator A and with 185kw its pretty fast,i could get heaps of fun with engine on the highways here and in Germany where there are no speed limits on certain area,s.
118 Ben N

Postby 017 Michael » 24 Mar 2010, 21:02

well i have all ready run a v8 conversion through my thoughts,was thinking about running a holden LS2 motor and 6 speed but looking at about 4g for the gearbox and another 3g on top off that for a low km motor and loom,now dont qoute me on them prices!!! just a rough estimate from a wreakers.

ben your right in the sence off a v8 having easier achieved power but holden v8s are just as so common here .thats why i opted for the 24v motor.i wanted to keep it all opel gear to prove to what these under rated cars are capible off.

i found a link of the autobahn stormers website about a guy who strenghtens the timing chains???? does anyone have any further info on that???

as for the flywheel and cluth aragment i have a old opel commodore 4 speed (blowen)which the clutch splin etc fits onto the getrag 265.i was going to machine up a new billet steel flywheel :D (the joys of having a new mill and a couple of large lathes at work :D )as for cluth maybe get it re lined??? anyone with info on that?? as for the dizzy problem is there a solution eg machining out canal?? or modifying it so oil dosnt have a chance to build up?? as for individaul thottles what model do they come off?? its slipped my head(age is catching up on me)

thanks for the info guys.ben would you by any chance send me some photos of your projects??would be nice to see some more ,just cant find many...

thanks brad motor turned up fine and cost me a box off beer to get down :D
2x86 opel monza
017 Michael

Postby 001 Neville » 24 Mar 2010, 21:34

017 Michael wrote:
i found a link of the autobahn stormers website about a guy who strenghtens the timing chains???? does anyone have any further info on that???

Uprated timing chain sets are available ...... check out the following link/article http://www.nsu.org.uk/
peter.harrison5@virgin.net. Cost = 90 pounds plus postage

There is also a new batch of top tensioner parts for the C30SE.... straight and curved guide (90324697 and 90352572) for the primary chain and a tensioner assembly for the secondary chain (90352331). These have been produced by a club member toolmaker using identical material that was originally used, and manufactured to high standard. Cost = 20 pounds plus post and packing. Needs ABS membership number to purchase.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 020 Brad » 24 Mar 2010, 21:56

My suggestion regarding timin chain is just to replace it now. Sean from the UK has extended the redline on his C30SE out from 6krpm to 7krpm and has run it up to 260,000km from memory, without any trouble. Its all original gear too.

The throttle bodies come from Toyota 20 Valve engines, which are available in Toyota Corolla Levins and Sprinter Truenos, among other things. They are a 1600cc twincam motor and come in two forms; Silvertop and Blacktop - the throttles are 42mm on the Silvertop and 45mm on the Blacktop. The Silvertop usually go for around $100 for 4, while the Blacktops go for upwards of $150. Wreckers often won't know what these are or that they are special so that may be a good option.

Otherwise there might be an off the shelf item available ex-Germany or the UK. I know there are kits available for the C20XE and despite having done the conversion before and having a few hookups on deals, with the exchange rate as it is currently the off-the-shelf items are a very serious option.
020 Brad

Postby 118 Ben N » 25 Mar 2010, 00:21

Could you send me your normal email adress Michael than i show you my 24V conversions,as far i have the pics of them.

Here are some nice pictures:

http://www.senator-monza.de/index.php?z ... zM9EkUBBVT
So you got a idea what needs to happen,to get the engine is simple and fast.

http://www.senator-monza.de/index.php?z ... zM9EkUBBVT

http://www.opel-hecktriebler-forum.de/i ... 6&pageNo=1

Just click on the pic,s to see them bigger,and you can can go to page 2.

I have a complete timing gear set of a 24V here:2 chains the gaskets the crank sealring ,the valve cover gaskit and the sump gasket,these kits cost around 350€ here,Opel doesnt have any parts of the 24V anymore (or not from the timing) and the .......things there the chains runs over are special made by a guy with better and stronger plastic,that the original one.
118 Ben N

Postby 021 Chad » 25 Mar 2010, 09:36

My 10c regarding the clutch rebuild.
it'll set you back $600 at the local 'Autoclutch' shop to re-build a single plate clutch with carbon - kevlar friction plate and up rated springs, should handle the extra power easy peasy.
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Postby 118 Ben N » 25 Mar 2010, 11:39

http://www.senator-monza.de/index.php?w ... TM9EkUBBVT

Use a BMW clutch from a old M5 or a 635CSI,my brother has that 635csi clutch in his Monza 24V,cost 550€/600€ (=1141,80 NZ dollar ex shipping) for the complete clutch setup including the flywheel.

That clutch shut handle up to 500Nm of torque and dont worry a N/A 24V will never get 500 or more NM torque.
118 Ben N

Postby 127 Gordo » 27 Mar 2010, 23:07

Have you considered the sound a N/A six makes with a decent exhaust and sidedrafts/TBs?
127 Gordo

Postby 021 Chad » 28 Mar 2010, 22:50

127 Gordo wrote:Have you considered the sound a N/A six makes with a decent exhaust and sidedrafts/TBs?

Better than sex :wink:
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Next

Return to Car & General Chat