The Official Opel "spotted" thread

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Re: The Official Opel "spotted" thread

Postby 002 Lindsay » 06 Mar 2012, 09:08

have to keep eyes open for that, the one badged as a Chev is the Reckord or early Commodore shape, and the other one is about 83 ascona 1.7 diesel left hand drive looks silver but real light mettalic blue.
002 Lindsay, Nelson
002 Lindsay

Postby 026 Nik » 05 Apr 2012, 15:27

The low km Kadett GSI:

Done somewhere between 20,000-25,000kms!
026 Nik

Postby 021 Chad » 05 Apr 2012, 15:44

WOW,
Looks very original too.
Yamaha XJR1300
Opel Vectra GT 16v AKA: "Evil Opel", AKA:"The Chavalier"
021 Chad

Postby 026 Nik » 07 Apr 2012, 12:38

021 Chad wrote:WOW,
Looks very original too.

Yip, one owner. Look up the kms between each WOF check ;)
026 Nik

Postby 008 Julian W » 28 Jul 2012, 13:51

Over the last 3 months I took on a part time selling job selling a promotional Mat for a an established enterprise --simply because Relief teaching is getting harder to get - very few teachers are leaving schools ; no ones retiring (They should retire!); no ones getting sick and teachers no longer do extra courses in term time as funding has been cut. Besides before I was a teacher I was a salesmen for close on 20 years.

In the course of my cold call visits I seen some amazing sights of car collections secretly stored - The Hutt Valley is a Goldmine - Who reads NZV8 these days? Many of the so called Dream Garages stries - comes from Garages held in here in the Hutt Valley on commercial premises hidden away from view!

For Example I not going to say where but i discovered the biggest hoarde of ultra rare Porsche 911 Carrera ; Turbo and racing models in a metal shed all in their corcoons - the most amazing one was black low to the ground Porsche 911 Turbo 934 RSR that raced at Le Mans in 1986by a Count

But to Opels - I believe I have sigted 1 of the 3 original NZ new Opel Cablibra 4x4 Turbos -covered in dust and in black with a Zender kit its currently stored at Classic Car Services LTD in Alicetown - It was previusly owned by a young upward moving couple who sold it for a Saab 900S Convertible and reg number used parts of their names; they were often seen around Petone - Nice couple I met then once or twice!

Of course 1 of 3 Zender Opel Calibras was brought for the then Saarchi & Saarchi Advertising agent who looked after the GM NZ account - I think initially it was the first of the 3 and GM NZ had a devil of a job getting one - However he (and he was rather arrogant so I am told) showed his displeasure by selling it 3 weeks later for a BMW M3! :)
008 Julian W

Postby 008 Julian W » 28 Jul 2012, 13:54

In Wingate Lower hutt there is a Wreckers Yard where has from time had Opel Kadetts and Pontiac Le Mans - Nearby are a number of Truck Firms and around 2 years ago a light silver metallic rare 3 door Opel Kadett Gsi was seen by me when i was on the local commuter train - it had its plates removed but it may have been a N Plate - I hope it was rescued?
008 Julian W

Postby 008 Julian W » 29 Jul 2012, 14:38

Regularly on the way to various schools in the Hutt Valley in mornings I often see a Opel Vectra C 5 door hatch in Black with Vauxhall badges which obviosly the person comes to work here to the Hutt Valley - Next time i see it I try to get the reg number :D
008 Julian W

Postby 197 Wolfgang H » 31 Jul 2012, 18:54

Earlier last week I was driving along Ferguson Drive in Upper Hutt and followed a nice Opel Monza. Looked like an elderly couple driving it and in nice original condition.
197 Wolfgang H

Postby 001 Neville » 31 Jul 2012, 19:02

197 Wolfgang H wrote:Earlier last week I was driving along Ferguson Drive in Upper Hutt and followed a nice Opel Monza. Looked like an elderly couple driving it and in nice original condition.

This one?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 197 Wolfgang H » 31 Jul 2012, 19:36

Yes

I am pretty sure this is the one. Had a black plate and the same colour.
197 Wolfgang H

Postby 001 Neville » 31 Jul 2012, 19:46

Belongs to John Marechal who used to be a GM engineer, and living in Hutt area.

He contacted me after my Monza was in the NZ Classic Car. Not heard from him for ages, so good to hear the Monza is still going!
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 008 Julian W » 01 Aug 2012, 13:05

John and Elizabeth Marschal are personal friends of mine - John is only the 2nd owner it was originally owned by Johns Boss Ozzie Wilkinson the car is a 3.0 S Automatic

It is one of two Opel Monzas both the same colour! I often tooted as I have driven past in my Vectra to find its the other one!

John was the guy that got me into in Opels in the first place
Not popularily known that post 1987 Financial Crash of the sharemarket - Opels were casuality of that Sharemarket - Opel Mantas were brought by many a young share broker ( I found this out years later when i met people who lost their money!) and of course Opels being luxury goods could not be sold - GM NZ brought them back of dealers and they were mainly sold to GM staff and their families and friends for only half price - My brother was one of them he brought a Olyster Metallic Gold Manta GSi which last i heard is in the South Island maybe its someone on this broad!

Others in wellington area that took advantage of the deal were

Commander Terry Arthurs (Retired) a Silver Opel Ascona GSI 5 door Hatch (Where are the Asconas these days..?)
Rear Admiral Thorne (Retired) Olyster Metallic Gold Opel Manta GSI - now owned by Charita Jones (Ashleys Wife) in Auckland
and around 5-6 Opel Kadetts
1 of 3 Opel Senators went to the GM NZ Parts Manager and that was last in Wairarpa as well as one of Ascona GSi's

My involvement in the Manta was 2 years later after enjoying driving my brothers!
008 Julian W

Postby 155 Paul G » 13 Aug 2012, 12:22

Saw "OPL2NV" yesterday on the southern just before TipTop. Unfortunately it was on the back of an AA tow-truck! Pity I couldn't snap a photo while I was driving past.
155 Paul G

Postby 021 Chad » 13 Aug 2012, 13:15

155 Paul G wrote:Saw "OPL2NV" yesterday on the southern just before TipTop. Unfortunately it was on the back of an AA tow-truck! Pity I couldn't snap a photo while I was driving past.

I've seen this Vectra a few times as it used to live up on Hibiscus coast.
Its a Vectra A GT 8v, originally fitted with the 20SEH high compression motor, but it was swapped at some point in time with a C20NE :cry: . It has some glorious bonet vents (Repco specials) that go nowhere and the motor is painted metallic hammerite blue (including the wiring). I know this because it was getting a WOF at a local shop a couple of years ago, I spotted it and went in to have a geezer.
Yamaha XJR1300
Opel Vectra GT 16v AKA: "Evil Opel", AKA:"The Chavalier"
021 Chad

Postby 113 Jon F » 15 Aug 2012, 21:59

yes, seen that one too, why swap out 20SEH for 20NE? Oh well, no accounting for some decisions - my 20SEH is still happy at ~225,000 ks, weeps around rocker and sump gaskets, can still party however... never did find a lasting cure for oil leaks around rocker cover... BTW the Vectra A GT may be for sale sometime before year end, anyone interested before it goes to Trademe?
113 Jon F

PreviousNext

Return to Car & General Chat