The Official Opel "spotted" thread

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Re: The Official Opel "spotted" thread

Postby 113 Jon F » 22 Sep 2011, 22:25

Chad, wasn't mine, have not seen that one, usually circulate on NW motorway, haven't seen any interesting Opels out this way for a while, there was a rather tatty Vectra A GT in dark blue out here for a while, but I think the kiddies killed that one! Gone for some months. I might have West Auckland's last tidy(ish) Vectra A GT 8V? Not even any vanilla 20NE cars have been seen in a while...
113 Jon F

Postby 021 Chad » 22 Sep 2011, 23:39

113 Jon F wrote:Chad, wasn't mine, have not seen that one, usually circulate on NW motorway, haven't seen any interesting Opels out this way for a while, there was a rather tatty Vectra A GT in dark blue out here for a while, but I think the kiddies killed that one! Gone for some months. I might have West Auckland's last tidy(ish) Vectra A GT 8V? Not even any vanilla 20NE cars have been seen in a while...

I'm on the NW motorway most mornings / evenings doing the commute out west. You might recognise me as "one of those annoying bikers" who ride between the stationary traffic :wink:

I will keep an eye out for your Vectra.
Yamaha XJR1300
Opel Vectra GT 16v AKA: "Evil Opel", AKA:"The Chavalier"
021 Chad

Postby 113 Jon F » 25 Sep 2011, 20:22

Haha, so you are one of "those"? These days I have to watch wing mirrors in case the left one gets wiped off :) Steel grey Vectra A GT 8V, a little noisy, and crackles a bit sometimes on downshift... I do like Coby replacements for the original resonators. No baffles, I am sick of being baffled! Same goes for rear can...
113 Jon F

Postby 021 Chad » 25 Nov 2011, 08:20

I keep seeing this nicely looked after and well presented Vectra A GT 8v outside a pub that I frequent in Auckland city. Does anyone know who's it might be? I might slip a note under the wiper next time I see it.
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Postby 113 Jon F » 04 Dec 2011, 21:34

Hahaha :)
113 Jon F

Postby 021 Chad » 04 Dec 2011, 22:27

113 Jon F wrote:Hahaha :)

You don't work at the H&T do you?
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Postby 113 Jon F » 13 Dec 2011, 21:45

Not at all, 'tis on way home :lol:
113 Jon F

Postby 168 Derek S » 13 Dec 2011, 21:49

021 Chad wrote:
113 Jon F wrote:Chad, wasn't mine, have not seen that one, usually circulate on NW motorway, haven't seen any interesting Opels out this way for a while, there was a rather tatty Vectra A GT in dark blue out here for a while, but I think the kiddies killed that one! Gone for some months. I might have West Auckland's last tidy(ish) Vectra A GT 8V? Not even any vanilla 20NE cars have been seen in a while...

I'm on the NW motorway most mornings / evenings doing the commute out west. You might recognise me as "one of those annoying bikers" who ride between the stationary traffic :wink:

U a lane splitter Chad?
168 Derek S

Postby 021 Chad » 14 Dec 2011, 08:22

168 Derek S wrote:
021 Chad wrote:

U a lane splitter Chad?

Yup, lane splitting, filtering, etc I think the NZ road code refers to it as 'lane sharing' however.
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Postby 168 Derek S » 14 Dec 2011, 08:49

you must have a customized tank on your bike then, one that fits big balls - :shock:
168 Derek S

Postby 021 Chad » 14 Dec 2011, 12:11

168 Derek S wrote:you must have a customized tank on your bike then, one that fits big balls - :shock:

Why's that?
If you stick to 30KPh and expect to get cut off by lane changing driver's that don't know the function of wing mirrors every few minutes then it's safe as houses. I lane share for about 10Km to work and about 5Km after work every day, no big deal.

As an average I reckon 95% of commuting bikers lane share, the remaining 5% are:
a) Chopper jockies
b) Women on scooters
c) Learers
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Postby 168 Derek S » 14 Dec 2011, 13:55

021 Chad wrote:
168 Derek S wrote:you must have a customized tank on your bike then, one that fits big balls - :shock:

Why's that?
If you stick to 30KPh and expect to get cut off by lane changing driver's that don't know the function of wing mirrors every few minutes then it's safe as houses. I lane share for about 10Km to work and about 5Km after work every day, no big deal.

As an average I reckon 95% of commuting bikers lane share, the remaining 5% are:
a) Chopper jockies
b) Women on scooters
c) Learers

well I must fall into the 5% bracket too, say item d) veteran riders that have seen other bikers killed while lane splitting.

I was also coming back from the coromandel one year, traffic was at a standstill and this prick saw me riding up the line of traffic and intentionally opend his car door on me, needless to say I was not too impressed when I noticed the occupants all laughing, however they soon changed expression when I stopped the bike and turned around "for a chat" which involved my boot talking to his car door.
168 Derek S

Postby 021 Chad » 14 Dec 2011, 14:49

168 Derek S wrote:
021 Chad wrote:

Why's that?

a) Chopper jockies
b) Women on scooters
c) Learers

well I must fall into the 5% bracket too, say item d) veteran riders that have seen other bikers killed while lane splitting.

I was also coming back from the coromandel one year, traffic was at a standstill and this prick saw me riding up the line of traffic and intentionally opend his car door on me, needless to say I was not too impressed when I noticed the occupants all laughing, however they soon changed expression when I stopped the bike and turned around "for a chat" which involved my boot talking to his car door.

So if you were to commute to work through an area of highway that is in a constant state of gridlock you would sit there in between the cars running your clutch and foot up / downing for half an hour?
I see pleanty of people on bikes that could potentially get themselves hurt whilst lane splitting, but these are the retards on litrebikes that go flying up the que at 70KPh like some sort of stunt rider.
Sticking to below 40KPh while lane splitting really takes the danger aspect out of the equation. I see more chance of being injured when staying in the traffic, because it makes the rider more likely to get pancaked in a nose to tail, at least between the cars you're not at the mercy of the braking reflexes of the bozo in a dump truck behind you.
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Postby 113 Jon F » 05 Jan 2012, 22:24

Found this arvo on NW motorway, Vaux badged black Insignia, know anyone that has brought one into NZ privately? (edit, droppped an "e" - in vino veritas, in aquae sanitas)
113 Jon F

Postby 020 Brad » 06 Jan 2012, 07:13

That's exciting and slightly strange!

A Vauxhall badge suggests a UK import, which I know people are still doing with near new cars, it's just a bit odd that one of them would select an Insignia (usually something like a late model, well spec'd BMW of some variety is chosen for resale value).
020 Brad

PreviousNext

Return to Car & General Chat