Lotus Omega/Carlton in NZ

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Re: Lotus Omega/Carlton in NZ

Postby 026 Nik » 27 Mar 2012, 20:13

Just thought Id ask if anyone has seen or heard anymore on the NZ Lotus Carlton?
026 Nik

Postby 008 Julian W » 28 Jul 2012, 15:01

Hi nik I see you tried to re-invigour the Post - Great Post!

I tell you what I have been told
When I lived In CHCH briefly working for Caltex 1990-1992 and its was here I set up the Opel Car Club Canterbury I used to have a very good business relationship with John McKindly who was dealer principle of Blackwells Holden - One day in the lot there was a replica Opel Omega Carlton Lotus in for servicing with the right body kit. In talking with him one day he believed there was a real one in CHCH at the time!

When I first moved to Upper Hutt - I was in contact with Andrew from Wanganui - Is he here on the board? - He is on a wheel chair and then owned 2 Opel Omegas GSI 3000s one of which he came down to visit me from Wanganui - He told me the following story:

6 Pre production Opel Omega Lotus Carltons were produced - some were used as later Press cars - all 6 were supposed to be scrapped rather then sale - However this was not the case
One found its way to Tasmania and other 2 were believed (prior to Earthquake...) to be in a lock up in a CHCH storage facility awaiting the 20 year rule so they could be road registered!
WOW! Is this true?
008 Julian W

Postby 001 Neville » 28 Jul 2012, 18:41

008 Julian W wrote:When I lived In CHCH briefly working for Caltex 1990-1992 and its was here I set up the Opel Car Club Canterbury I used to have a very good business relationship with John McKindly who was dealer principle of Blackwells Holden - One day in the lot there was a replica Opel Omega Carlton Lotus in for servicing with the right body kit. In talking with him one day he believed there was a real one in CHCH at the time!

When I first moved to Upper Hutt - I was in contact with Andrew from Wanganui - Is he here on the board? - He is on a wheel chair and then owned 2 Opel Omegas GSI 3000s one of which he came down to visit me from Wanganui - He told me the following story:

6 Pre production Opel Omega Lotus Carltons were produced - some were used as later Press cars - all 6 were supposed to be scrapped rather then sale - However this was not the case
One found its way to Tasmania and other 2 were believed (prior to Earthquake...) to be in a lock up in a CHCH storage facility awaiting the 20 year rule so they could be road registered!
WOW! Is this true?

Andrew was on here, but not seen for a while. He has got married and moved up to Auckland area. He is looking to sell his Omegas since they had to be adapted for his disability, and now a problem for certification or insurance issues, so he was looking to sell. Not sure where he is at with the sale since it would probably be 6 months since we were in contact.

I hope they are not waiting for the 20 year rule since the cars need to be imported after the 20years - can't be imported and then held. I've checked with NZTA when I was bringing cars in myself.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 026 Nik » 29 Jul 2012, 09:18

001 Neville wrote:
008 Julian W wrote:When I lived In CHCH briefly working for Caltex 1990-1992 and its was here I set up the Opel Car Club Canterbury I used to have a very good business relationship with John McKindly who was dealer principle of Blackwells Holden - One day in the lot there was a replica Opel Omega Carlton Lotus in for servicing with the right body kit. In talking with him one day he believed there was a real one in CHCH at the time!

WOW! Is this true?

Andrew was on here, but not seen for a while. He has got married and moved up to Auckland area. He is looking to sell his Omegas since they had to be adapted for his disability, and now a problem for certification or insurance issues, so he was looking to sell. Not sure where he is at with the sale since it would probably be 6 months since we were in contact.

I hope they are not waiting for the 20 year rule since the cars need to be imported after the 20years - can't be imported and then held. I've checked with NZTA when I was bringing cars in myself.

When did you last check Neville? I know of a few cars (E30 M3's) that were held here waiting to registered that got through. I understand what you said was correct, but in the last 2 or so years that rule changed. Like I said, I havent looking into it myself, just know of cars that have.
026 Nik

Postby 001 Neville » 29 Jul 2012, 16:08

I guess the last time I checked would have been about three years back, when I was checking Ebay for other Opels to bring over.

The rules certainly could have changed since then, but I hadn't thought to check again since they seemed quite definite when I made enquiries at NZTA at the time. I guess govt departments do U turns all the time, so shouldn't be too surprised! :roll:
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 026 Nik » 30 Jul 2012, 09:11

008 Julian W wrote:Hi nik I see you tried to re-invigour the Post - Great Post!

I tell you what I have been told
When I lived In CHCH briefly working for Caltex 1990-1992 and its was here I set up the Opel Car Club Canterbury I used to have a very good business relationship with John McKindly who was dealer principle of Blackwells Holden - One day in the lot there was a replica Opel Omega Carlton Lotus in for servicing with the right body kit. In talking with him one day he believed there was a real one in CHCH at the time!

WOW! Is this true?

Hey Julian, when were the LC's meant to have been imported into NZ?
026 Nik

Postby 008 Julian W » 30 Jul 2012, 12:10

Nik I had no idea maybe Andrew would know?
Interesting that 1991 when I spoke the then Dealer Princple of Blackwells - John McKindlay (who later left to work for BMW NZ In Auckland) that he was under the impression there was one in the area - Maybe they had serviced one?
008 Julian W

Postby 026 Nik » 30 Jul 2012, 12:51

008 Julian W wrote:Nik I had no idea maybe Andrew would know?
Interesting that 1991 when I spoke the then Dealer Princple of Blackwells - John McKindlay (who later left to work for BMW NZ In Auckland) that he was under the impression there was one in the area - Maybe they had serviced one?

Not being rude but would he know what one was? They only sold one Omega GSI which was black in colour, he could have thought that was one?
026 Nik

Postby 008 Julian W » 30 Jul 2012, 18:49

Blackwells sold more then one Omega GSI3000 I am sure! - One our members an Accountant from Fenderlton had a silver one practically from new - He brought it from Blackwells
The one in Garage with the body kit at time talking to McKindlay was also Silver.

I Remember getting from McKindly a line flow computer listing of all cars they sold 1989-1991- since mislaid it I Think its in one of my files stored in my garage - I sure on the Sales stats given to me it showed more then one Omega? It also had the stats for number Opel Vectra GT; Opel Calibras (and that time only 3-4) ; Opel 2000 16v and Opel Kadett with there reg numbers and 1st owners names and addresses!
008 Julian W

Postby 026 Nik » 30 Jul 2012, 22:12

Thought Id try a different avenue in regards to the finding the LC. I dropped a line to a guy whos a Lotus nut, hes only heard what others have, one could be located in the Queenstown area.
026 Nik

Postby 001 Neville » 30 Jul 2012, 22:23

Someone could try bringing a Lotus in for themselves? :wink:

There has been a few appearing recently on Ebay, and I know of a couple in the Autobahnstormers club who have mentioned they were thinking to sell.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 028 Sean » 31 Jul 2012, 11:09

Hmmm, I know its been a while since I posted on here but I think some legendary Lotus Carlton/Lotus Omega tales should be corrected before people quote them as fact.

008 Julian W wrote:When I first moved to Upper Hutt - I was in contact with Andrew from Wanganui

No offence intended here Julian but when I first joined Nev's forum I too was blown away by Andrew and his GM related stories. What he told me sounded really plausable at that time but when I did some in depth research of my own to validate his tales, serious holes started to appear in Andrew's versions of known UK vehicle History. When I questioned him further about these many discrepancies, he chose to ignore me and then Andrew vanished from this Opel forum.

Andrew comes across as a really nice Guy, Its a shame that the majority of what he told me was just myths, or creative imagination .... :(

008 Julian W wrote:He told me the following story:

WOW! Is this true?

I know the World will normally choose to listen to the members of the Autobahnstormers Lotus Carlton/Omega hierarchy before the rantings of myself but a few years ago I started my own log of known Lotus' and was shocked to discover that even James Waddington on occasion has got things wrong....

Back in February 1989, The German Motoring press (Auto Zeitung and Auto Motor und Sport) were the first journalists to see a Prototype Lotus Omega in the flesh. This car was basically a GSi 3000 mule with a 3.6i 12v engine, Irmscher inspired interior and fancy body-kit. This car was registered in Germany as "GG-NV 355" and it made the cover of Opel's very own Start magazin in March 1989.

While GG-NV 355 this GSi/Lotus mule was feeding the Publics appetite for GM's new über saloon, the real Pre-Production Prototypes were going through their paces throughout Europe. Sometimes these were snapped by eagle eyed journos and then published in magazines like Autocar & Motor which is a good thing as its these papped cars that allowed me investigate further. Just by going on the numbers alone, there could have been as many as 25 or 26 Lotus Pre-Production Prototypes built starting at V15 and working their way down to V1 before starting on the 10 PP numbered prototypes.

F738 BNG - Red Lotus Omega Number V?? - Registered on 25/01/1989 - Scrapped by GM in 1990
F637 DNG - Silver Lotus Omega Number V13 - Registered on 24/05/1989 - Scrapped by GM in 1990
G385 KEX - Silver Lotus Omega Number V6 - Registered on 01/12/1989 - Scrapped by GM in 1991
G729 GEX - Silver Lotus Omega Number V? - Registered on 18/08/1989 - Scrapped by GM in 1991
G476 KVG - Green Lotus Carlton Number V9 - Registered on 25/01/1990 - Sent to Italy in Dec 1990 and became the Pinnifarina Chronos
G231 MEX - Green Lotus Omega Number V? - Registered on 16/05/1990 - Scrapped by GM in 1990

G494 KVG - Green Lotus Carlton Number PP2 - Registered on 22/02/1990 - Scrapped by GM in 1991
G941 LVG - Green Lotus Omega Number PP4 - Registered on 03/04/1990 - Scrapped by GM in 1990
GG-XZ 201 - Green Lotus Omega Number PP? - Registered UNKNOWN - Scrapped UNKNOWN
GG-XZ 215 - Green Lotus Omega Number PP5 - Registered UNKNOWN - Scrapped UNKNOWN
G246 MEX - Green Lotus Carlton Number PP8 - Registered 21/06/1990 - The only PP car to survive being scrapped and still alive but numbered as 0006 for unknown reasons

The reason there is confusion over exact vehicle numbers is because some were registered in the UK and the rest were registered in Germany. To make matters worse, the original GSi/Lotus mule was registered in both countrys! By October 1989 GG-NV 355 had some of the more extreme body modifications dropped and this vehicle was then registered in the UK as "G929 SPP"....

No one seems to know anymore if this car was Number V15 or was built outside of the "V" and "PP" build numbers. After its press duties were done in the UK, G929 SPP vanished and has not been seen or heard of again. None of the cars mentioned above were ever given to the Motoring Press to drive.

The cars that were given to the journalists were :-

H79 RAH - Lotus Carlton Number 0004G - Registered o 14/09/1990 - Still around as this today...
H81 RAH - Lotus Carlton Number 0005G - Registered on 14/09/1990 - Written off by a Magazine Editor
H82 RAH - Lotus Carlton Number 0006G - Registered on 14/09/990 - Still around but on H3 LOT number plate...

So folks I cannot tell you exactly about the Lotus' that are currently residing in NZ or Oz but I can for certain tell you all that none of the above mentioned vehicles have ever set foot in or on either of your shores...Sorry Guys!

HTH :P
028 Sean

Postby 008 Julian W » 31 Jul 2012, 15:41

Man what an impressive post! Great research there! :D
I have hang on to those details like this and add them to my knowledge of surivors
I agree what you say Automotive Journalists regularly get it wrong - The worst in this regard would be kiwi Motor Racing Journalist Eion Young in his racing columns Straight from the Grid of the 1960s to 70s - up to 50% was wrong - mainly rumor...I documented most of his!

Historians get it wrong too i seen many of the top British historians like Michael Ware; or Michael Worthington -Williams often have ended up with egg on the face regarding surivors - No one is totally sure of surivors of some marques as Companies have come and gone and records destroyed ; prior to ww2 most British archives was destroyed in the Battle of Britain

However in the case of scrapped cars - You can not be always be sure in this regard- The only exception to this that I know was destruction of 70 odd Leyland Force 7V Coupes which was witnessed by management as those cars were initially flattened then driven over by a forklift then squashed into a cube!

There have been cases when manufacturers have said cars are scrapped but the cars have surived examples the prototype Jaguar XJS of 1974 proto fitted with 4.2/6 - That was supposed to be scrapped but wrecker knowing its value decided to hold on to it!
Then there is the case of Ford LTD Landau Coupe of 1973 a former Ford Australian Proto and Show car had its chassis numbers changed and rebuilt and it was sold as 1976 vehicle in the UK and its still around over there!

It does not look good for the Lotus protos but there is hope- 1 or 2 may have escaped the crusher! Heres hoping
008 Julian W

Postby 026 Nik » 31 Jul 2012, 17:11

To throw another worm into the mix, Dad was told that GM OZ had one as a test evaluation vehicle but they squashed it.
This was before Dad found out about the GM OZ test evaluation vehicles, because if he had been offered it he would have purchased it.
026 Nik

Postby 028 Sean » 01 Aug 2012, 09:11

026 Nik wrote:To throw another worm into the mix, Dad was told that GM OZ had one as a test evaluation vehicle but they squashed it.
This was before Dad found out about the GM OZ test evaluation vehicles, because if he had been offered it he would have purchased it.

To be honest Nik, I personally would put this down to fokelore that has become fact over time mate. I very much doubt that this actually happened because there is no evidence that the Lotus Carlton/Omega would've ever met the strict vehicle requirements necessary to be sold in Australia. The Opel Monza failed miserably as Phil has told us previously and GM Holden made so many changes to the 1990's VN Commodore that it is essentially a completely different car from the 1986 Opel Omega A on which it was initially based.

Another reason why I think this is a myth is because of the actual story behind Lotus Carlton PP8 and why this was the only prototype car spared from being prematurely scrapped by GM or completely altered from its original form. Whilst testing was going on throughout Europe, G246 MEX was sent down to southern Italy to also do its part in development testing. It was this exact car that was officially clocked at 301km/h (187mph) in July 1990 at the Nardo test track when it was driven flat out by development engineers. It still has the heavy duty rear roll cage fitted to PP8 in case something went wrong during this high speed development testing! As we all know, GM later publically capped the Lotus' top speed potential at 283km/h (176mph) but this lower figure still caused outrage at the time!

So at the end of the testing and development program, Lotus donated G246 MEX - Lotus Carlton PP8 to the local College at Wyndmonham in Norfolk. After roughly a ten year period at this College, this special hero car was sold on to Universal Salvage in Sandwich in Kent to aid College funds for an undisclosed amount. One of Universal Salvages employees was a car enthusiast and recognised PP8 and proceeded to plead a case to stop this heritage vehicle being auctioned off for spares. He later bought this car from his employers and some time later sold it on to another enthusiast in Atherstone in Warwickshire. It was later sold again in May 2011 to another Lotus enthusiast.

So this is the car (PP8) that caused all the top speed headlines around the World! None of the other development mules except for G476 KVG - Lotus Carlton Number V9 which became the Pinninfarina Chronos had such a fantastic story to tell and unfortunately that is why these other 23/24 prototypes were then crash tested and then scrapped off before their smashed up remains were buried at the Lotus factory at Hethel in Norfolk to stop any competing manufacturers from getting hold of the technology too early.

HTH! :P
028 Sean

PreviousNext

Return to Car & General Chat