Shows in Auckland

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Shows in Auckland

Postby 021 Chad » 13 Nov 2009, 10:30

I received this (Exotic cars in luxury garages) from Mark too via email. Just a question Nev, does mark have an account on here? He has organized some excellent Opel show days in the Auckland area in the past (galaxy of cars, GM club day etc) and I thought it would be excellent if he could keep us up to date on here on any up comming Vauxhall Opel Sport NZ / Classic Opel show days / meets.
Yamaha XJR1300
Opel Vectra GT 16v AKA: "Evil Opel", AKA:"The Chavalier"
021 Chad

Re: Exotic cars in luxury garages!

Postby 001 Neville » 13 Nov 2009, 10:39

Yep, he's registered as 005 Mark in the membership listing, but has not made any posts here. I've tried to suggest the same to him in the past, but not heard anything more.

I thought we might be able to get some joint car stands or something as there is some overlap between the membership....?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 021 Chad » 13 Nov 2009, 10:43

Oh Pleanty!
At the last 'Galaxy of cars' show last year we had everything from Manta A's, Manta B's Opel Speedster Turbos, Calibras, Vectras, effectively a cross section of EVERY Opel model from the 60's to now (we really needed an Omega and a Senator though). It was an excellent event, but if a post was put up on here then it would have been that bit more special. I have photos if you'd like to see them.
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Postby 001 Neville » 13 Nov 2009, 10:53

Hmm, I think I saw some pics from that show.
http://www.opelforum.org.nz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=317

Would be great to attend as a club. When does it happen? I don't think we're likely to get into the big Ellerslie show as a club :wink: , but Galaxy sounds a good alternative!

I'm happy to combine attendance, but needs Mark to agree as he remains focused on specific and unusual sport models. If he is one of the organisers, then I guess he would prefer to keep his separate club identity anyway...?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 021 Chad » 13 Nov 2009, 11:26

Well the thing is, he usually finds it hard to make up numbers for the shows, so club 'identity' asside were not a big enough enthusiast base to be picky about member's cars don't you think?

My opinion is that an Opel is an Opel, they all have an interesting story and a close knit development line. It's not like were in the EU where opels are dime a dozen.
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Re: Shows in Auckland

Postby 001 Neville » 13 Nov 2009, 12:48

I agree with you Chad. I was originally going to have the Forum just for straight sixes, but it would be even quieter here if I'd stuck with that idea! :(

I've got no problem with the post-2000 cars either, but figured there were other clubs already targetting them. When I spoke to the Vauxhall club, the Christchurch rep considered there was no demand for the era 60s-90s, so figured I was safe to expand and include the Vx from then.

The Holdens are usually well covered, but no problem with their owners joining too if they are interested. I notice there is another GM club listed in NZCC - the Opel & Euro Holden Club NZ - with some of the same people as here and other clubs, so that is diluting potential membership down further still. Never hear anything of them - I might email to see if the club is still running.... :?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 021 Chad » 13 Nov 2009, 13:48

Even the newer Opels and Vauxhalls have little in the way of owners groups. Most people dont even recognize a Holden Astra Turbo! It's shocking really. In fact i can't name a single club in NZ that suits modern performance Opels (other than VOS that is)
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Postby 001 Neville » 13 Nov 2009, 14:02

021 Chad wrote:Even the newer Opels and Vauxhalls have little in the way of owners groups. Most people dont even recognize a Holden Astra Turbo! It's shocking really. In fact i can't name a single club in NZ that suits modern performance Opels (other than VOS that is)

If VOS covers them, then why do you need any more Chad? I think VOS narrowed their membership so they don't include all the souped up "common, all garden" varieties of Opels, so not sure if that is a good idea or not. A post-2000 Kadett owner that Brad referred to the Forum was miffed that his car was not eligible here. I referred him to VOS, but unsure if he would have been eligible there or not?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 021 Chad » 13 Nov 2009, 14:15

Personally my opinion is that the Opel ownership base in NZ is too small to be picky about year groups and driveline configurations. VOS does cater for later model Opels but it doesnt have a forum which is the backbone of an organised owners group, so members don't have the chance to interract without going to an event.
Yamaha XJR1300
021 Chad

Postby 001 Neville » 13 Nov 2009, 15:16

I think Mark was upgrading the VOS website with some additional features, and not sure if a forum was one of the upgrades. I did offer to give him a separate area on this forum, but he seems to want to remain separate.

Chad, I hear what you're saying about limited Opel ownership in NZ, but there are clubs like the t-car club for the 4 cylinder cars, and others too. If one club aimed to cover all Opels, then it would take a lot more organising memberships, administering the website, (and cost) than I have time and money to do myself. People will often lose interest if there is a membership fee too. It's difficult to get volunteers to fill other roles too - not impossible. Spread out over the two islands only adds to the difficulties.

If you look through the membership list, you can see for yourself how many of the NZ members contribute to the Forum regularly in the way of postings. People are just too busy doing other things, so it often comes back on the same members to do all the work. I'm not being negative here ... just realistic!

Personally, I set up the Forum to fulfil a specific interest for myself, so while I am open to ideas for changes, it will depend on the additional workload and cost involved.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 020 Brad » 13 Nov 2009, 16:43

001 Neville wrote:Chad, I hear what you're saying about limited Opel ownership in NZ, but there are clubs like the t-car club for the 4 cylinder cars, and others too.

True, but the numbers of Isuzu Geminis, Holden Geminis, Vauxhall Chevettes, and Holden or Isuzu Piazza's are still quite high in New zealand, and also the difference here is that being they are older cars, the general populous owning them are more likely to be car enthusiasts and also, possibly, younger and perhaps a little more computer savvy than some other areas of automotive enthusiasts. And I absolutely don't mean that in a bad way at all, I just know a lot of the older fellas have absolutely no interest in computers, least of all spending time typing useless crap for people they don't know! :lol:

I think the other aspect to consider when talking about Opel ownership in New Zealand, is that "sports" or "performance" models are slightly more difficult to come by and thus, don't attract the everyday person like other makes here would.I honestly believe that if Opels sports models, along with some of the more powerful 3L 6 cylinder cars were more known in NZ and more readily available, there would be a very strong following here aswell.

I myself am open to the idea of anything being on this forum that does (has in the past or could) wear an Opel badge, regardless of year of manufacture. I do think that this forum (or slub if you want to call it that) could easily double or triple in size without having too many (if any) ill effects. In saying that, I also understand the implications involved in heavy bandwidth usage and large numbers of people to manage in regards to these types forums.
020 Brad

Postby 005 Mark » 22 Nov 2009, 14:57

Hi Guys,
You comments make interesting chat. I totally agree with what both of you are saying, however I do have a day job and a family to look after! It's bad enough trying to get members up here in Auckland to attend shows when they are on? Theres not that many rare Vauxhall/Opel models left around the country so it's a bit of a night mare trying to drive from Auckland to Christchurch and vice versa, just to get together for a show. As we are only a small country with a handful of rare sporty Vauxhall/Opel models here, I have opened VOS up to all NZ owners, half of them I never here from? Like Neville was saying, time & money is a issue. The VOS thing is only a part time hobby, not a full time job or retirement plan. I understand what you both are saying regarding the forum thing, but why would I need to set up my own one when Neville has gone to a lot of time to do this one. Members and cars are hard to find or take part as it is and I think we should be thankful for what we have. Like Chad was saying, VOS is the only active Non-profiting organization in NZ for V & O cars. For years no one else wanted to do anything, so I made a start to get people involved and in contact with each other. Don't forget as the years go by I'm still here doing my thing for VOS and everyone that chooses to be part of it. All my members have to do is turn up to shows. All the costs come out of my own pocket and I get very little thanks for it? There has been times when I have thought about packing the whole thing in. Then who's got the time to run everything? At the end of the day most of the people I have talked to about these ideas are more than happy with the way it is and I guess we just have to grin and bear it. Another thing to before I forget, VOS is for all rare sporty models not just late ones. If I joined up all the common crap out there, I wouldn't have time for a normal life. I agree with what Chad is saying, a Opel is a Opel, but where do we draw the line between something rare that's worth good money and something cheap that's worth $500.00? :roll: Do we really want to devalue our rare models to the same low value as there's? It's bad enough now days listening to people rubbish Vauxhall & Opel cars. We just don't have both the car numbers and member interest like we had in years gone by. If we had new V & O car sales here in NZ, things would be a lot differant. Even the other Vauxhall clubs around the country are struggling to keep going. How many Opel clubs are left in NZ now days? Not many! Enjoy what we have before it's all gone? :|
005 Mark

Postby 001 Neville » 22 Nov 2009, 19:11

Good to hear from you, Mark :wink:

Yes, it would be easy to cater for all, Chad, but what that gets us is loads of members who join up but don't contribute anything. I'm having to email back to every applicant now to check it is a valid email and that they are not spammers. Wastes a lot of time, since probably 75% are turn out to be spam! :x

I too have a family, and building up a new business.... and I get grief from my other half now about the amount of time I spend on here!

There's as little chance of me getting up to the AKL shows, as you getting to the CHC shows, so I guess the only way forward is for you to cover the North Island and me the South Island. If we could combine clubs to attend shows, it may give more power to our club brands?

There is a way to restrict access to certain threads to certain members, so you could have your own area on here, Mark, if your members joined the OpelForum? Just a thought which could help to combine our branding for shows etc?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 005 Mark » 22 Nov 2009, 20:28

Hi Neville,

All of my members have been well informed about the forum and most of them are as always still thinking about it or have no interest in joining or have had a quick look at it and go back to there own daily lives. What does one do?

The Vauxhall clubs around the country are the perfect example of what or how enthusiasts should be doing. I.E. Auckland, Wgtn, CH-CH & Dunedin. They all cater for owners in the areas. This is what the Opel people should be doing as well, but no one wants to set up any clubs in the same area's. As you already know Ashley Jones closed down the Opel Club here in Auckland some years ago because of the lack of interest. Opel in Auckland should have been bigger than the Vauxhall thing, infact ten times bigger. However yet again some people are all talk and no action. No one wants to do it. Years ago Ashley and I decided that it was easyer to combine both V & O under one banner, and it works great catering to both parties. We all live in Auckland so it makes it a lot easier.

I am more than happy for anyone down in the south Island to come up and take part in our shows. (No problem at all) :) Chad mentioned that there was no omega's etc... at the show this year? The only reason that they aren't is because we don't know of anyone that owns them in good enough condition. Half of the owners of these cars around the country either still don't know about us or they aren't interested in clubs etc... I personally would love to see them at the shows, so spead the word. However I do not want any old riff raff in my club. I do have a standard! 8) I hate to say it but a lot of people up here agree that the Opel thing in the Souh Island will have to be a seperate club with a differant name in order to keep everyone happy. It would be great if we good all get together but there is a lot of miles and ocean between us. Some of our members are from the South and are quit happy just to keep in touch. Both you and Chad are members of VOS and are always welcome at any of our events!! :D Our website has pic's from all our shows etc... The only reason I don't post pic's on the forum is cos I don't know how? This is all new to us. That's why I set up the website etc... I would love to do a post or something on the forum? But it has to be simple as I am already very tied up with a huge number of other things in life like yourself! :roll:
005 Mark

Postby 001 Neville » 22 Nov 2009, 22:31

Initially I had member access only to all the threads, so you had to join to be able to see anything - they may have looked at that time and decided there was nothing to see :roll: I've recently opened up some of the areas so that non-members can see and get a feel for what is discussed. The Forum is free to join, but I still thought some might not bother checking it out if they had to join up.

I'm curious, Mark, I can't see how you determine if they are 'riff-raff" before they join VOS?

As long as applicants' cars are eligible, and they respond to my email for more information, I encourage all NZ ..... and international members. I seem to get a lot of spam applications, but luckily have so far been able to identify them, before they get onto the Forum.

Evidently the larger population base in the North Island, and AKL in particular, means you're going to have the bigger shows up there so I'll just have to try to come along to attend your stands when I can get there.

I'm interested in these new banners you mentioned in your last VOS newsletter. Do you have any pics/prices? Would be nice to get our stands here looking more professional too.

Posting pics..... ? When creating a thread, there is an "Add image to post" in the bottom left corner which you click on. It will allow you to browse your pc to find the pics, select one [the default image tab] or several images [the many images tab], ensure you resize to 320x240 or 640x480, select family safe (presuming it will be of course) and then Upload. Easy! :wink:
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Next

Return to Car & General Chat