Asconas & Mantas in NZ and Aus...?

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Asconas & Mantas in NZ and Aus...?

Postby 069 Lindsay » 28 Oct 2008, 13:52

I have been trawling the internet for a few years now on the (Very!) off chance an Ascona or Manta B might Pop up in Australia.

The closest I have seen in OZ has been a few Monzas, and these that came up at auction a few years back

http://www.bonhamsandgoodman.com.au/lot ... auction=85

Seen a few come up thru the Opel Manta owners club in the UK obviously, but the cost of importation from the UK is quite high...especially now the way the Aus $ is going!

Which brings me to NZ, the Aus $ is still quite strong against the NZ $, and only recently have I noticed you seem to have a few mantas for sale there..!..?

Were they sold in NZ new?....I have looked into GM's history in NZ and it seems they just import cars from whomever takes there fancy at the time, in the 60's it seemed to be Chev, in the 70's Holden, 80's Opel and so forth...?

Does anyone know of any Asconas in NZ?

Do many mantas come up for sale in NZ?...preferably Coupes

And does anyone know of 'any' Mantas or Asconas in Australia at all?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Cheers

Lindsay
069 Lindsay

Postby 020 Brad » 28 Oct 2008, 14:54

I too have been keeping an eye out for Ascona B's in NZ for the past year or so and I still haven't seen one or even a sign of any having ever been in the country.

We do seem to have things around about that age and you should be able to find a nice Manta for sale here if you decide to head down that path. One thing I have noticed is that in the past 2 or so years I don't think I have seen a coupe Manta B, only hatch ones which appear to be a lot less sort after.

So, as much as I hate to admit it, its looking like you will indeed have to look further afield in search of what you are after. Especially seeing as when you do find something you need to make sure it is exactly what you want to jusity the coin to get it into the country.
020 Brad

Postby 014 Phil » 29 Oct 2008, 03:30

Hmmm, that Bitter is a beautiful car. :D :D
My project car came from the same seller.
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Postby 001 Neville » 30 Oct 2008, 23:34

014 Phil wrote:Hmmm, that Bitter is a beautiful car. :D :D
My project car came from the same seller.

Are you saying that he still has it, Phil? Too late! Already committed to another Opel from UK :wink: It is still a left hand drive too.

Were there any other Opels he had stashed away that Lindsay may be interested in? The Commodore B went to Cees. I think he had 2 Monzas didn't he?
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 014 Phil » 31 Oct 2008, 01:13

He had so many cars, & I wasn't invited to see any of them by him. :cry: :cry: I didn't see any other Opel/Vauxhall stuff other than what Cees bought, but other cars have since come up on eBay. Who knows what he may have!

I am not aware of the Bitter selling, so expect he still has it.

Any room for a Monza spoiler in your boot?? I'm still looking to bring one across from the UK.
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Postby 001 Neville » 31 Oct 2008, 20:05

014 Phil wrote:

Any room for a Monza spoiler in your boot?? I'm still looking to bring one across from the UK.

A GSE one? Funny you should ask.... the last thing to get loaded in the container :wink: .... but only because I forgot I had bought it from a club member in UK and had to get it couriered down to Southampton to get there in time.

Chris North certainly seemed a strange chap. Almost like he had no interest in the cars. Either he hoarded them because he is/was filthy rich, or else he has bought the land and found the cars forgotten in these warehouses, or maybe he inherited them from someone and is trying to get as much as he can from selling them!

When I was talking to him about the Bitter, we had almost agreed that I would photograph all the cars to put up on a website to sell, but never heard any more of that when I decided to turn down the Bitter purchase.

Never mind.... committed elsewhere now 8)
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 014 Phil » 31 Oct 2008, 22:59

Yes, a GSE one. The Royale will need on to balance the rest of the body kit going on it.

What I found odd about Chris' imported cars was the poor quality he chose to bring in. Lots of chronically rusted cars. I'm sure he had really good cars tucked away, but why bother with the others? He was there the day I picked the Royale up, but he had no interest in talking to me. I would have killed for a tour of his sheds. :shock: :shock:
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Postby 001 Neville » 01 Nov 2008, 11:28

Well, I guess he's getting rid of the worst, rather than all of them.

Shame he's not more approachable though! Like I said, he doesn't seem to have the car enthusiast's ...... enthusiasm?

I suppose he could be reading this, but I doubt he would bother looking on the internet for forum sites......

........[shouts] If you read this Chris, we're curious to know what is your real interest in cars? :? :wink:
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 001 Neville » 10 Nov 2008, 22:31

Sorry to hijack your thread, Lindsay.

To bring the thread back on track, there have been a few Mantas here, but nothing special. Probably nothing worth the cost of shipping to Aus.

Something you may also want to bear in mind is the Aussie importation rules. My brother has just moved to Melbourne, and is wanting to ship his HOLDEN MONARO over with him. He tells me he is having to GET PROOF that the car was built in Australia before he can ship it over there!

Whether that is to get the car in free of a tax or whether it can't be shipped in UNLESS it is Aussie-built, I'm not 100% sure, but worth checking before you get excited about a Manta here in NZ, that definitely was not built in Aus.

Will keep an eye out for you, if anything comes along that you may be interested in..... but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting...... :wink: Maybe the Aussie Monza would be worth considering??? What you save on shipping, would pay for the extra cost of the car?
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 014 Phil » 11 Nov 2008, 00:59

That sounds very strange needing proof it was built in Aust. All they sould need is the VIN if that is the case!! :shock: :shock:
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Postby 001 Neville » 11 Nov 2008, 01:07

014 Phil wrote:That sounds very strange needing proof it was built in Aust. All they sould need is the VIN if that is the case!! :shock: :shock:

I thought so too! Particularly since ALL the Monaros would have been built in Aus anyway! :roll: I'll question him further on what's going on!
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 069 Lindsay » 11 Nov 2008, 14:07

Because the Manta / Ascona would be a Pre 89 model it would be imported under the 1 January 1989 rule, which is relatively leniant.

1 January 1989 Rule:

This rule is simply if a car was manufactured before 1 January 1989, there is no need for a compliance plate or test. All you must do is get an "Import Approval", register and license the vehicle, and complete any minor modifications that might be needed for registration.

FOR 1 JANUARY 1989 RULE:

* Purchase Document
* Certified Picture ID of Importer
* Evidence of the Month of Manufacture (e.g. Deregistration Certificate)

Import Taxes GST and other fees still apply but actually getting the car into Australia should'nt pose to many problems.....I would hope :roll:
069 Lindsay

Postby 001 Neville » 11 Nov 2008, 18:04

Okay, that is similar to NZ's 20 year old rule. If the vehicle is older than 20 years then no need for frontal impact compliance. Cool! 8)
001 Neville
Site Admin

Re: Asconas & Mantas in NZ and Aus...?

Postby 026 Nik » 11 Feb 2009, 10:15

069 Lindsay wrote:I have been trawling the internet for a few years now on the (Very!) off chance an Ascona or Manta B might Pop up in Australia.

The closest I have seen in OZ has been a few Monzas, and these that came up at auction a few years back

Seen a few come up thru the Opel Manta owners club in the UK obviously, but the cost of importation from the UK is quite high...especially now the way the Aus $ is going!

Which brings me to NZ, the Aus $ is still quite strong against the NZ $, and only recently have I noticed you seem to have a few mantas for sale there..!..?

Were they sold in NZ new?....I have looked into GM's history in NZ and it seems they just import cars from whomever takes there fancy at the time, in the 60's it seemed to be Chev, in the 70's Holden, 80's Opel and so forth...?

Does anyone know of any Asconas in NZ?

Do many mantas come up for sale in NZ?...preferably Coupes

And does anyone know of 'any' Mantas or Asconas in Australia at all?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Cheers

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay

Mantas were sold NZ new, back in the day I think about 8 would have gone though the hands of my father (an Opel dealer).
Of all the Mantas Ive seen that are NZ new they were imported hatches and GSI/GTE spec.
There are a few ones around. The last one Dad sold, I think the last new one in the country sold in late 88, early 89, OE***** plate if I recall. It was owned by an old bloke. On one of my travels I picked up what I was told to be the last new RHD drivers side head head light in the UK for it.
026 Nik

Re: Asconas & Mantas in NZ and Aus...?

Postby 008 Julian W » 15 Feb 2009, 02:12

Greetings all its being a while Ahh ... being busy with my web site www.carmagreviews.co.nz the Opel Ascona /Manta area my favourite topic :D

Regarding Opel Ascona B - Yes there was a 4 door Saloon in CHCH area when i lived there 1990-1992 it was a Berlina but powered by a 1.6 belief RHD and imported via South Africa I believe from memory it was white

As for Australia it is possible a few were evaluated I do remember seeing pictures of several AScona B 2 door and 4 door in late 70s thy were used for evaluation or 'mule' uses in photos by Wheels magazine these were either yellow or Orange

As for Manta B coupes I somewhat doubt any found there way to Australia however there are a few around here in 1994 NZ Classic Car June page 89 Volume 4 #6 one was for sale via dealer it had a black & white photo car was pale colour believed to be white RHD being for sale by Mondial Cars LTD LMVD 4131 Great North Road Kelston Auckland
Didn't Mick Mumford of Auckland buy it or own it at one time

As for others there have being a number of Vauxhall badged Cavaliers and they were Coupes there were at 2 down south one regularly turned up it may have being white for Sale in Christchurch and i may have seen it in 1991 on Vauxhall Car Club run?

The Manta C with OE plate that could be mine?!
I was Told my Manta C 2.0GSI CC was 2nd to last imported 1st Regisited August 1988 it was sold new to a Manger in Supply section General Motors Trentham and GM tends to keep the cars for first 1500-2500 miles my car was Dolphin Grey metallic fitted with Air conditing controls but no air conditing as such; a sliding sunroof ,light grey Recaro seats at the front ; a LSD then General Motors sold it to Waggs in Masterton (who by the way gets most of GMs cars) who sold it to wife of prominent and wealthy farmer as third vehicle then sold to Hawkes Bay Farmer Wife again as third vehicle before being sold to Karamu Auto Court in 1990 - they had difficulty selling car as Farmers wanted big car to tow - While it sat on the Forcourt its original OE or OP plate got stolen and now had PD plates -

As for Last car I was told the last one was registered January 1989 and bought by old couple who owned a obscure Furniture company in Lower Hutt called Endevour or something of that nature begining with E - Years ago I looked up the company name on Companies office record but i could see no information It too was Silver CC 2.0GSI 5spm

As for the Coupes only 2 C's were offically privately imported - I was originally thought there was 1 - The one I heard was red (Believe the other was red too) and bought for wife of dealer in either CHCH or Palmerston North called Robertson Motors since then 1 those coupes has being restored and repowered with Opel Vecta B 2.5V6 Believe in Hamilton area some where

With need to get some zzzz

Cheers Julian
008 Julian W

Next

Return to Car & General Chat