Weber carburetors

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Weber carburetors

Postby 003 Cees » 06 Dec 2016, 15:42

There have not been many entries of late, so I thought I will put a new topic up on the board.

Many CIH 6 cylinder owners are struggling with their 35/40 Zeniths carburetors. I battled them for many years in the hope that I would beat them and get them to run right. I got frustrated and in the end I purchased a set of Webers from the USA. New Webers are very cheap there. I purchased two new kits from Pearce Manifolds inc. The kits were originally for Jeep and they contained a 32/36 DGEV each. There was enough hardware with the kits to make up a new linkage system as the original Opel linkage system is not suitable.

The immediate problem I had was what jets should be fitted to these carburetors for the 2.5 liter CIH to run right? The jets which were in the purchased carburetors were way too big. Luckily there is a Swedish website that lists all the old Opel models with an after market Weber conversion. It shows the required jets by vehicle model. Someone did a tremendous job to list this valuable information. It was a gamble because how accurate is the information? In order to make sure that the jets were indeed correct, I fitted an Air/Fuel Ratio gauge to the car. In the event things were not right, at least you can experiment with smaller or larger jets and get it right.

The Webers are on the car and I am driving! The first thing you notice is the increased power compared to the old tired Zeniths. The other thing that becomes obvious is the strong suction noise through the Weber filters. Adaptor plates are available from Weber to fit the original Opel filter housing though.

I am back in control!

I guess this topic is not so relevant to New Zealand, as all your cars are fuel injected.

003 Cees

Re: Weber carburetors

Postby 060 Adrian » 06 Dec 2016, 23:47

Hi Neville,regarding jet sizes,years ago I heard of an easy trick,fill jets with solder then drill them to smaller size,I have a set of carbi drills-smallest is 11 thou,I only use them(15-20 thou in holder) to clean out screen washer jets,carbi drills used to be available from most tool suppliers,merry xmas.
AKH
060 Adrian

Postby 001 Neville » 19 Jan 2017, 23:07

Thanks for that info, Cees. I guess this applied to your Commodore A as well?

003 Cees wrote:
I guess this topic is not so relevant to New Zealand, as all your cars are fuel injected.

My Commodore Bs have carbs not f/inj, so will have to bear this in mind when I finally get them on the road ;)
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 003 Cees » 20 Jan 2017, 14:18

Indeed Neville, I could do the same setup on the Com A. The only thing I need to find is an inlet manifold suitable for two carbies, as I have a single Solex on the A at present. In addition the manifolds on the A and B are different. Finding the right manifold should not be that hard.

On the Com B I have also fitted the ignition system of the Com C [2.5 E]. The Com C has a Bosch distributor with hall sensor and electronic control module. It works well, certainly compared to the Delco points distributor. I had a variation of 0.2 to 0.3mm nock lift on the distributor shaft causing differences in dwell time [irregular idling].

One of your blue colored Com B's has fuel injection. I would try to revive that system, as it is a big step forward on the carby setup.

Attached a few pictures.

003 Cees

Postby 001 Neville » 20 Jan 2017, 20:45

Lovely collection, Cees.

It was the spares sedan that had the fuel injection, but I suspect everything is too far gone to revive. I'll have to give it to someone who knows what they are doing, as I've no knowledge of that stuff. Feel like having a NZ holiday? ;)
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Return to Car & General Chat