1986 opel manta gte project

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Re: 1986 opel manta gte project

Postby 281 Iain T » 07 Jul 2016, 21:23

she's a nice manta, I'm having no luck looking for the twin headlights kit for my manta, my mate in Ireland is asking around, Derek isn't speaking to me because I'm a Celtic fan and he's an Aberdeen fan...it's a Scottish thing...
281 Iain T

Postby 001 Neville » 07 Jul 2016, 21:31

Maybe find them on ebay, but they don't come up too often. Or through the Opel Manta club in the UK, if you are a member?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 281 Iain T » 07 Jul 2016, 22:02

I'm trying to order parts from Germany, so I have to send them to Scotland then re- post them to new Zealand,whatever it takes, my barn find is worth saving but it will take a couple of years at least to get her back on the road
281 Iain T

Postby 001 Neville » 07 Jul 2016, 22:09

281 Iain T wrote:I'm trying to order parts from Germany, so I have to send them to Scotland then re- post them to new Zealand,whatever it takes, my barn find is worth saving but it will take a couple of years at least to get her back on the road

... or else you might just have to become an Aberdeen fan! ;)
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 281 Iain T » 07 Jul 2016, 22:16

I'm a Celtic fan just like Derek's an Aberdeen fan? it's just abit of Scottish fun
281 Iain T

Postby 001 Neville » 07 Jul 2016, 22:33

Sure, I understand. Evidently he doesn't hold it against you ;)

Are you a member of the OMOC in UK? I know Derek is, and I am too, but they can be a bit close against non-members buying up their precious spares. Might be best to get Derek to tap some of his contacts? Mine are more for Manta A and Ascona B!

Will be stripping my spares Manta B hatch at some time, for the gearbox and engine if they are any good. Since the car has been sat for about 15years, the bodywork is fairly rotten, but hope to use the gearbox at least in either my Manta A, or an Ascona B auto when it arrives over. I understand I need a prop from an auto Manta B to make the conversion?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 168 Derek S » 08 Jul 2016, 11:55

281 Iain T wrote:she's a nice manta, I'm having no luck looking for the twin headlights kit for my manta, my mate in Ireland is asking around, Derek isn't speaking to me because I'm a Celtic fan and he's an Aberdeen fan...it's a Scottish thing...

I have been up to my eyes in work, have not even been able to go out to my shed and do any Manta stuff since it came back from the Dyno.
last time I was in the shed was doing an EGR valve on my daughters Astra H.
cant help with the windscreen, the ones I have here I need them for my own spares, probably best try get the one out of Nevilles parts car. they are about $3k to get out from the UK according to the insurance companies.

quads..hard to find good ones, best approach is get the irmshcer housing, then go to Morette in France for the lamp nests and try to find the correct Cibie lamps in RHD. most on the net are LHD lamps.
avoid the Hella quad conversion, which was the one I sent to Jason as its impossible to get the exact lamps for those housings, Jason did a great custom job on the ones he had, but had a good template to work from
some quads are fibreglass, avoid those

if you have a list of what you think you need I can have a look. but a lot of my parts have gone to two people in Tauranga, one in Hamilton and some have gone back to the UK. A lot of the hard to find bits I need to keep.
168 Derek S

Postby 001 Neville » 08 Jul 2016, 15:19

Unfortunately, the windscreen is cracked on this spares car. There was a business advertising windscreens for cars including Manta on trademe, but not sure how good they are ......
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 001 Neville » 08 Jul 2016, 15:36

Windscreens on OMOC website from Lancashire member for 100 pounds each, but you would still have to get them packed and over in one piece .....?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 281 Iain T » 11 Jul 2016, 11:46

hi, sorry for the delay in contact and thanks for your messages. my first priority was to get the manta before the previous owner killed it, I've just moved house to methven so I've taken this week off to sort out my garage and I'll start stripping her to have a good look at what I need and work out where to start. The body is very straight so hopefully do any welding needing done then renew the under seal properly . Parts like twin headlights are cosmetic so il just keep looking out for them as I go. Thanks again for advice so far and sorry in advance if I start to piss you off in the future with lots of stupid questions. Im chuffed to get a chance to restore a manta in new Zealand because they are so rare here, the other day I opened the passenger door and the window just fell into the door??, this is where the fun begins?, wonder what else il find ..haha . iain
281 Iain T

Postby 168 Derek S » 13 Jul 2016, 12:57

don't spend any time doing anything on the car until you have really had a close look at the front chassis legs, any signs of rust or bulging from the front jacking points up and over the front wheels = lots of work
also bottom of the B pillar at the sills, any soft spots in the sills = lots work
168 Derek S

Postby 281 Iain T » 13 Jul 2016, 14:09

hi, I haven't had a chance to do anything other than get it home and park it in the garage. I'm off work this week and I was hoping to take the wings off and have a good look but my 5 year old daughter isn't giving me time off. I've noticed a rust bubble on the lower part of the Swan neck on passenger side, my plan was to remove the wings and preasure wash any dirt etc off and see what I find. I'l take some photos and you can let me know what you think, if anyone would know if it was worth saving it would be you, I had a 88 exclusive coupe 20 years ago in glasgow that had more visual rust and the drivers side carpet got soaked every time you drove it in the rain,I know these cars werent built to last.The sellar wanted 1500$,in the end I knocked him down to 500$ so if it is rotten it can become a donor car but that would piss me off, this is probably my last chance to have manta but I can't waste money on scrap, hopefully by the weekend I'l have a better idea.
281 Iain T

Postby 183 Steve T » 02 Aug 2016, 20:21

If you need anything in particular, ask as I brought quite a few repair panels and some glass with me when I came over. Don't have the same stock as I had in the UK though for obvious reasons!
183 Steve T

Postby 001 Neville » 02 Aug 2016, 23:50

Any progress, Iain? Is it a keeper, or a sponge ;)
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 281 Iain T » 03 Aug 2016, 00:22

Hello mate, I've had the car checked and considering her age nearly no rust in the usual places, slight bubble on lower swan neck on passenger side but very minor, bubbles around sunroof but no bog etc indicating previous repair, interior is poor dash is cracked, drivers seat knackered, boot won't open really just a list of minor problems. I just need a plan of attack and I'll get started, cold weather here isn't encouraging me into the garage at night?. I'll keep you posted
281 Iain T

PreviousNext

Return to Car & General Chat