The NZ Monza GSE thread

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

The NZ Monza GSE thread

Postby 026 Nik » 26 Sep 2013, 11:55

I saw a photo of Neville's before of 2 white GSE Monzas in a car show in the South Island somewhere. It inspired me to start this thread.
Does anyone know how many Monza GSE's are in NZ? Or how many were imported?
Dad personally owned 3 in the late 80's, early 90's. Two were anthracite and one was white. He cant remember any of the number plates and neither can I. The white one was a P reg because it had had a Commonwealth Games edition personalised plate on it. I think that car was sold to someone in Huntly?

The only colours of the Monza GSE's that I recall was white, sliver, anthracite and burgundy red. Has anyone seen other colours here in NZ?

Anyway, share details away :) (Ill see if Dad can dig out any photos).
026 Nik

Re: The NZ Monza GSE thread

Postby 002 Lindsay » 26 Sep 2013, 14:59

Nik if you go too page 3 gen chat Nelson car show my 2 monzas either side of my Calibra one silver one blue,its still on black plates its not a GSE its a 3.0 I auto, the GSE is 5 speed. both Auckland cars originally Neville would have an idea how many are left maybe.cant recall any white ones at shows down here and ive been to a lot over the years etc.
002 Lindsay, Nelson
002 Lindsay

Postby 026 Nik » 26 Sep 2013, 16:28

Cheers.
I found out Dads white had the P/Plate: 700NZ before he ownered it.

These cars were so cool when I was young, that big digital dash, "mag wheels", twin exhausts, the only thing that was missing was pop up lights.

I recall a road trip to Auckland we did in about 1986, Mum, Dad, my brother and I. We took a red Manta up and came back in a brand new burgundy red Monza. Flying around a corner on SH1 and my brother decides to me car sick. Dad screams at Mum "dont get any on the car" So Mum ended up wearing all my brothers sick. Its all about priorities :D

How many Monza's do we have on the forum?
026 Nik

Postby 168 Derek S » 26 Sep 2013, 16:41

Phil s Monza in Auckland
I have seen a Silver Vauxhall Royale Coupe on the motorway many years ago, I think the same car was up for sale on TM a year or so ago, its on the Auckland North Shore
168 Derek S

Postby 001 Neville » 28 Sep 2013, 00:02

There were about 25 Monzas listed with NZTA about 18months ago, but that may have reduced by now.

Several of our members have two Monzas, some are GSE models. I estimate there are about 12 Monzas in total belonging to club members, but I know of about another 7 Monzas around NZ.

Two white Monza GSEs in that photo belong to Christchurch members. The pearl white Monza is still in Huntly to the best of my knowledge, but has been stuck in a garage for the last 10+ years. I saw it back in 2005 and it was looking pretty sad then - and he still wanted $7K for it :roll:

There's a GSE around Auckland that was cannibalised by the owner's son when his father died, and it was planned to add a Commodore VK(?) front end and possibly a Holden 303 engine instead :( Yuck! Supposedly the Monza front end panels were stolen, when I asked to buy them from him. The car will still be recorded as a Monza if it is still registered, but sounded like a lonnnnggggg -term project!

There's also a couple of Vx Royale coupes around NZ (early Monza with different grille and lower spec). One is tucked away in a garage being used as a shelf by the owner, and quietly rotting away according to a member who went to check it out. The other was down south somewhere, but have lost track of it.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 002 Lindsay » 28 Sep 2013, 09:44

There was,is a green Vauxhall Royale in CHCH which originally belonged to Bob Charles the golfer,he owned it for years,since sold and believe it has been fitted with a diesel,correct me if im wrong.
002 Lindsay, Nelson
002 Lindsay

Postby 001 Neville » 28 Sep 2013, 12:07

002 Lindsay wrote:There was,is a green Vauxhall Royale in CHCH which originally belonged to Bob Charles the golfer,he owned it for years,since sold and believe it has been fitted with a diesel,correct me if im wrong.

Never heard about it, Lindsay. You could be right
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 026 Nik » 28 Oct 2013, 12:11

Dad found a pic of his old Monza GSE:

Does anyone know where it is now?

Edit: Dad sold this car to a guy who lived near Huntly. Its not pear white though. Ive never heard of a factory peal white Monza before?
026 Nik

Postby 001 Neville » 28 Oct 2013, 13:19

That could be the one in Huntly. I don't recall the rego now as I saw it about nine years ago. Adrian knows the owner, so he may be able to check.

I'm calling it "pearl white" as it didn't look like the factory white, and had like a lustre - but then that could just have been a patina of age :wink:
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Return to Car & General Chat