Holden Malibu

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Holden Malibu

Postby 021 Chad » 14 Sep 2013, 09:39

Has anyone taken a look at the new Holden Malibu? Does it look familiar to you?
If it does, then you're not going mad, the Holden Malibu is perhaps as close to an Opel Insignia as we are likely to get in NZ. It's using the Insignia's Epsilon II platform with some tweaked body pressings to differentiate it from the Opel model, the malibu body was developed for the american market but it appears to be the new replacement for the soon to be dead Commodore.

It's just a pity that they're not releasing the Malibu in 4WD or using the OPC turbo V6 motor from the Insignia. Instead the top model only seems available with the 193Kw 4cyl turbo motor and FWD in the American market. Currently Holden will only be offering the 2.4L NA 4cyl or 2.0L diesel motors.

C'mon Holden, give us a badge engineered HSV Malibu with the 2.8L Turbo OPC motor and 4WD :D

Insignia

Malibu
Yamaha XJR1300
Opel Vectra GT 16v AKA: "Evil Opel", AKA:"The Chavalier"
021 Chad

Re: Holden Malibu

Postby 020 Brad » 15 Sep 2013, 00:11

That name! That styling! :x :cry: :? :|

I want to like it, but I think I'll wait for Holden to re-establish it's mid segment model with the next version of whatever it decides to use. Honestly, running a Toyota in the early 90's, then sourcing an Opel (Vectra) for the next couple of generations, before bailing out for the Korean models (Epica), then coming back to a GM (but made in Korea and based on Opel components) Malibu, that is loosely engineered for the Australian market. They look to be in disarray.

The Malibu uses 8l/100km and makes 123kw from a 2.4l petrol. My Kia Optima uses 7.8l/100km and makes 148kw from the same size engine. Plus, I know which I prefer in the looks department. Holden has some work to do.
020 Brad

Postby 026 Nik » 17 Sep 2013, 12:58

021 Chad wrote:Has anyone taken a look at the new Holden Malibu? Does it look familiar to you?
If it does, then you're not going mad, the Holden Malibu is perhaps as close to an Opel Insignia as we are likely to get in NZ. It's using the Insignia's Epsilon II platform with some tweaked body pressings to differentiate it from the Opel model, the malibu body was developed for the american market but it appears to be the new replacement for the soon to be dead Commodore.

It's just a pity that they're not releasing the Malibu in 4WD or using the OPC turbo V6 motor from the Insignia. Instead the top model only seems available with the 193Kw 4cyl turbo motor and FWD in the American market. Currently Holden will only be offering the 2.4L NA 4cyl or 2.0L diesel motors.

C'mon Holden, give us a badge engineered HSV Malibu with the 2.8L Turbo OPC motor and 4WD :D

Insignia

Malibu

Whos to say that the Commodore is soon to be dead?
I think if anything sales will inprove when Ford stops production of the Falcon.
026 Nik

Postby 020 Brad » 17 Sep 2013, 14:53

A RWD Commodore produced in Australia is widely accepted to be no longer after 2016 and the current VF model - it is kind of a run out at the moment, being a facelifted VE, so it will be really showing its age in another 3 years and GMH cannot afford a VE equalling one billion dollars to develop a new car for a potentially small market segment. It is a shame, but families just aren't buying big cars like that anymore. They are moving towards SUV's and MPV's for practicality.

The badge may live on however, and hopefully, for Austalia's sake, it will still be produced in Australia. The Holden boss man has stated the next Commodore will be on a global platform, so it is extremely likely to be built on something like the Epsilon II platform, as Chad suggests in the first post.
http://www.topgear.com/au/car-news/vf-c ... t-the-last

The more I look at it, the more convinced I am that Holden is bringing the 2 cars together in styling, so close that most people won't be able to tell the difference by the time the models merge in 2017. I'm just not sure whether they will try and retain the Malibu badge or kill it in favour of retaining the Commodore name plate.

Honestly, they look very similar already and the Malibu is only (something like) 85mm shorter, so it is in virtually the same class as the Commodore. If you asked Joe Public which was which, they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and with another 4 years of facelifts to bring them even closer, it will probably be even more difficult to tell the difference. This is almost exactly what happened to small RWD cars in the late 70's and early 80's as they were gradually phased out in favour of FWD models.
020 Brad

Postby 127 Gordo » 17 Sep 2013, 18:41

Used to be that the 'big three' were bought for hauling families, boats, etc, but nowadays there are many other options, like SUVs for these potential customers to purchase.
Shame, but not that much of a surprise.
127 Gordo

Postby 168 Derek S » 17 Sep 2013, 19:59

I have had 3 x 5.7 litre commodores. in my opinion, they are better built than a Aussie ford ( yes I have had one of them too) I have found the Aussie assembled Commodore are not that good a car, the fit, finish and longevity is generally not on par with a Vauxhall or Opel of the same era.

A good friend of mine used to work in a Holden dealership work shop and I have heard some real horror stories especially about the current Korean sourced Holden products.

I also keep clear of late model commodores towing big loads, as there are so many on the roads with dealer fitted tow bars that have not been fitted in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations.....

Needless to say I won't be buying a new Holden for the foreseeable future.
168 Derek S

Postby 155 Paul G » 02 Oct 2013, 20:54

Schofields gave me one of these last month while my Astra was in for a service. I was pleasantly surprised by the level of gadgets - reversing camera, blue tooth, pandora radio support, electric seats, rain sensing wipers, automatic headlights.

Acceleration wasn't great, certainly nothing compared to a commodore but it was smooth and quiet.
155 Paul G

Return to Car & General Chat