Omega with problems..

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Omega with problems..

Postby 261 Benjamin v S » 26 Jul 2013, 21:05

Hi guys,

I have registered just recently, but I already have some issues which I try to take care of. I have bought the car from an other forum member knowing that the car has gearbox issues.

So, these are the current problems: The computer is giving an P075 fault code, the heater bypass valve is leaking (will be fixed next week) and after I bought it the ABS/TC light are often turning on combined with the speedometer turning of. The car has been checked by Newlands in Ashburton, but until now they couldn't find anything regarding to the ABS/TC light and the failing speedometer. They will have another look next week on saterday.

I have also asked for advice on the Dutch Opel Omega Portal and according to a couple of members, the ABS/TC lights coming on with the failing speedometer is probably caused by a faling ABS unit. According to them, it needs to be replaced which will cost a lot of money.

So I would like to have your opinion about the problems so I can fix the car and have a nice and relaxed drive the next time I will come over to Christchurch. If there are any ideas or suggestions, they are very welcome.

Cheers Benjamin
261 Benjamin v S

Re: Omega with problems..

Postby 127 Gordo » 27 Jul 2013, 04:05

Some models of Opels/Vauxhalls use the same wheel sender(s) for all those things and it may be as simple as a dodgy connection.
127 Gordo

Postby 020 Brad » 27 Jul 2013, 12:09

By "ABS" unit, do you mean the ABS control computer? I guess this is possible, but as Gordo suggests you would probably want to start to at least cleaning, if not replacing the wheel sensors first.

I'm familiar with Vectra A sensors which can get dirty easily as they are an open type sensor and toothed wheel, however I've not had any experience with the Omega B. I am thinking they might be more similar to the Vectra B, which uses an enclosed sensor that is less prone to getting dirty, but can still fail as well as the old sensors.

So am I right in saying P075 relates to "Transmission Switch - torque control" ? http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_cod ... .htm#bosch
If so, it looks like a low voltage error, which can sometimes be thrown when cranking from a flat battery or from a loose connection.

This the first thread that popped up in a quick search, which kind of backs up the theory that strange codes can pop up that are unrelated to the actual fault.
http://oldsite.omegaowners.com/forum/Ya ... 85600190/0

It's a tricky one. I would probably reset the ecu by leaving the terminal off the battery overnight (hopefully this does it on the Omega) and then see what happens on a drive the next morning.
020 Brad

Postby 261 Benjamin v S » 27 Jul 2013, 14:04

020 Brad wrote:By "ABS" unit, do you mean the ABS control computer? I guess this is possible, but as Gordo suggests you would probably want to start to at least cleaning, if not replacing the wheel sensors first.

I'm familiar with Vectra A sensors which can get dirty easily as they are an open type sensor and toothed wheel, however I've not had any experience with the Omega B. I am thinking they might be more similar to the Vectra B, which uses an enclosed sensor that is less prone to getting dirty, but can still fail as well as the old sensors.

So am I right in saying P075 relates to "Transmission Switch - torque control" ? http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_cod ... .htm#bosch
If so, it looks like a low voltage error, which can sometimes be thrown when cranking from a flat battery or from a loose connection.

This the first thread that popped up in a quick search, which kind of backs up the theory that strange codes can pop up that are unrelated to the actual fault.
http://oldsite.omegaowners.com/forum/Ya ... 85600190/0

It's a tricky one. I would probably reset the ecu by leaving the terminal off the battery overnight (hopefully this does it on the Omega) and then see what happens on a drive the next morning.

It's the probably the ABS control computer i mean, but the translations from Dutch to English aren't always the correct ones. At my Vectra A in the Netherlands I have a problem with the TC, probably caused by one ore more defect sensors. According to some guys from the Dutch Opel Omega forum, if one of the sensors is broken it should give a fault code. Unfortunately, it doesn't give a fault. But it can't hurt to get them cleaned. Is this something I can do myself?

The P075 code relates to the Transmission low torque control, so you're right. The battery had been replaced right after I bought it and if the fault is because a loose connection, which connection should this be? I know there is a round connection inside the engine space on the left side, but there are 2 or 3 round connectors right next to each other, but which is the correct one.

And the last option you mention, reset the ECU, how exactly do I do that? It is worth giving a try.

Thanks,

Benjamin
261 Benjamin v S

Return to Car & General Chat