Ellerslie Car Show, Auckland, 10 February '13

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Ellerslie Car Show, Auckland, 10 February '13

Postby 001 Neville » 20 Sep 2012, 18:43

Received this letter from club organisers for Ellerslie.

Greetings Club Secretary

Forty years ago we launched the greatest Classic Car event in the country. Join us to celebrate the epic journey!

Forty years is a milestone in anyone’s life. And what better way for us to celebrate than look back at the cars, competitions and characters that made the Intermarque NZ’s premier car show over 40 fabulous years?

Now we invite your club to join us and show the world “Forty Years of Fabulous” highlighting your marque, members and milestones over the past 40 years (or longer if you wish). Enter the Classic Cover Insurance “Best Club Display” and you could win a great cash prize for your club. You don’t have to be big or even long established – it’s the idea that counts (just like it did when imaginative club members started this event 40 years ago).

And for 2013, consider entering your best car restorations into the Concours or Team event competition – again it’s not club size that counts. It’s the cars. If your club is small and wins to become show host 2014 – you’ll be supported by an experienced “hands on” committee and the manpower of other clubs to help stage the event. That’s been the way of it for years.

The deadline for entries is Friday December 14 2012. Do it online!
We will not accept January registrations regardless of the excuse! We expect clubs to be organised just as we have to be. So please don‘t leave it until the last minute. Site allocation and map are finalised by end of December. The “volunteer” Committee does not need the extra work that late or “forgotten” entries create especially given the likely size of this “40th” event. PLEASE get the paperwork in anytime from now! You can do it online.

If we do not receive your registration by December 14 your club may miss out on being part of the show. As before we’ll continue to relocate clubs to avoid frequent criticism that it’s “the same old show every year,” so you may also find your club sited in a fresh location. You can do it online – just visit our website: http://www.concours.org.nz

For this “premier” event, the Host Club is Early Holden!
They’re leading a strong and experienced organising and business committee, backed by New Zealand Classic Car magazine, Meguiar’s, Classic Cover Insurance, Personalised Plates, and an increasing number of commercial exhibitors.

Marketing & promotion befitting a “40th” celebration
You’ll see advertising in more magazines, newspapers and on radio – around and beyond Auckland. Our website will again be a marketing tool - watch for updates on http://www.concours.org.nz

Please register early for the following:
Saturday 9thth Feb morning: the MG Car Club organised Fun Run. Departing from destinations around Auckland…for a spectacular site!

Sunday 10th Feb: the NZ Classic Car Magazine Intermarque Concours d’Elegance competitions; the Classic Cover best club display competition; and a spectacular display of past Concours winners. There’s also the MG Car Club staged Personalised Plates Intermarque Club Motorkhana and more. (Make a two-car Motorkhana team and be part the action!)

What part will your club play? If you are participating in activities such as the fun run, we need to know Dec/ early January, not the day before!

Accompanying is information about entering and who to contact. The earlier you send in your response, the easier it is! Mail forms or do it online.

To participate, enter competitions; or see rules and information visit our website http://www.concours.org.nz

OpelForum member Paul Graham in Auckland has stepped up to the mark, and has offered to run an OpelForum stand at the event, and members are invited to coordinate with Paul to display their cars. All we ask is that they are clean, in good condition (not necessary to be concours) and roadlegal to present the club in a good light. This is the first official OpelForum club stand at a show in the North Island, so we hope you will take the chance to display a wide range of club cars.

There will potentially be some overlap with the VOSNZ club, but it is time our club promoted itself on our wide range of eligible cars and enthusiasts.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Re: Ellerslie Car Show, Auckland

Postby 155 Paul G » 20 Sep 2012, 20:15

Thanks Neville. To reiterate - all cars are welcome, whether you have an Opel, Vauxhall or European Holden - so if you'd like to display, please respond to this thread or send me a PM.

We're really looking forward to making our first official North Island event a success, however to do this we need your support!

Put Sunday 10th February in your diary now, and lets make a great display.

Paul
Last edited by 155 Paul G on 23 Sep 2012, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
155 Paul G

Postby 020 Brad » 20 Sep 2012, 20:26

Could it at least be combined with the VOS stand? From past experience it is always a struggle for numbers, so separating things isn't really going to help anyone.

As far as showing a vehicle it highly unlikely I'll have a vehicle to show at that time, but if I do somehow manage to get my race car to some semblance of completion I'll consider bringing it up for the event, if it would be welcome (it's just an Opel Vectra by the way).
020 Brad

Postby 155 Paul G » 20 Sep 2012, 20:41

020 Brad wrote:Could it at least be combined with the VOS stand? From past experience it is always a struggle for numbers, so separating things isn't really going to help anyone.

As far as showing a vehicle it highly unlikely I'll have a vehicle to show at that time, but if I do somehow manage to get my race car to some semblance of completion I'll consider bringing it up for the event, if it would be welcome (it's just an Opel Vectra by the way).

Your race car Vectra is more than welcome - even if you can only get it there by trailer!

Neville will know the exact numbers, but from our discussions we've got plenty of Auckland Forum members, and plenty of cars to choose from. We're trying to create an identity for Opel Forum in the North Island and to do this we need some exposure at the car shows.

We're hoping with some hard work we can get a display together of 5 or 6 cars which is the usual size for a club display. Generally the clubs of similar Marques are situated together. Last years event also had the display from DTV - Driver Team Vauxhall right in front of VOS.
155 Paul G

Postby 001 Neville » 20 Sep 2012, 23:07

I think there is some merit in having our stand beside VOSNZ .... if they are happy with that. Mark?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 021 Chad » 21 Sep 2012, 10:25

I am in, should be fun.
Yamaha XJR1300
Opel Vectra GT 16v AKA: "Evil Opel", AKA:"The Chavalier"
021 Chad

Postby 155 Paul G » 21 Sep 2012, 14:05

Great, that is 2 cars so far. We need to find another 4 or 5 ...
155 Paul G

Postby 001 Neville » 21 Sep 2012, 15:50

So what car have you got, Paul?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 168 Derek S » 21 Sep 2012, 23:00

Perhaps some clarity around the current VOS situation (perhaps unknown to members of this forum) should be explained.
Would hate to turn up to such an event unaware of any ill feelings towards members of the Opel forum or VOS.
I personalty don't give a shit about the politics, I am only interested in the cars and meeting like minded people.
168 Derek S

Postby 001 Neville » 21 Sep 2012, 23:04

...... not aware of anything myself, Derek. :?: :?

I'm only interested in the cars and meeting other enthusiasts too.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 155 Paul G » 22 Sep 2012, 11:52

Hi Derek, As you are likely aware, I have had to stand down from helping with the VOS Newsletters due to work commitments. I certainly have no ill feelings to VOS or its members.

I've spent a lot of time on the Opel Forum on the last couple of years and I'm really keen for the club to get a presence in Auckland.

I'm completely with you .. I'm not interested in politics either - I just want to enjoy my car, meet like minded enthusiasts, and display my car at shows and achieve the same success that the Opel Forum has in the South Island.
155 Paul G

Postby 021 Chad » 22 Sep 2012, 17:54

There are no politics to be concerned about.
We are Opel / Vauxhall enthusiasts.... Not VW owners not BMW owners and certainly not Mercedes drivers. Those owners groups can keep their clicky political rubbish, you will not find it in this brand owners group, I assure you :D
Yamaha XJR1300
Opel Vectra GT 16v AKA: "Evil Opel", AKA:"The Chavalier"
021 Chad

Postby 155 Paul G » 22 Sep 2012, 18:01

021 Chad wrote:There are no politics to be concerned about.
We are Opel / Vauxhall enthusiasts.... Not VW owners not BMW owners and certainly not Mercedes drivers. Those owners groups can keep their clicky political rubbish, you will not find it in this brand owners group, I assure you :D

Hear, hear! :D
155 Paul G

Postby 026 Nik » 22 Sep 2012, 21:26

021 Chad wrote:There are no politics to be concerned about.

Watch yourself Chad ;)
026 Nik

Postby 168 Derek S » 22 Sep 2012, 21:51

I have talked to Neville about this, its not a Opel Forum problem as far as I can tell
He is going to look into it a bit further. Hopefully he will be able to confirm the situation.
168 Derek S

Next

Return to Car & General Chat