Grey Imports

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Grey Imports

Postby 008 Julian W » 02 Aug 2012, 00:11

There have been much discussions with regard by certain parties of how many types of Opels were offically brought into the country - Example 12 only Opel GSi 3000 of 1987

However during period 1989-1992 a number of new car dealers were importing new cars directly from contacts overseas outside the dealer network this is called 'Grey Imports' and I could not tell why that name was chosen?

Blackwells a GM dealer that operated in CHCH and I believe Dunedin was one of these and not only imported GM based product but also non GM new vehicles
When I lived in CHCH they imported 6 Isuzu Impulses this was replacement car for the not loved Isuzu Pizzia (some markets however called Pizzia an Impulse) this was a much smaller car it was mid engined and looked very similar to Generation 2 Toyota MR2 - The engine was the 1.6 unit which was same unit Lotus used in its Lotus Elan of 1989-1993. 5 of those cars were sold to HertzRent a Car in CHCH and I remained and they could sell it

I approached McKindlay at Blackwells for funding to send a mate of mine Greame Spinks who owned the Martial Art Shop in CHCH to Spain for the Olympics over there in 1992 he was competing in Judo - I got the loan of the Isuzu Impulse - What a flyer!.... and i drove it down to The South City Mall where we positioned it in a mall with a special auction with co-operation of Turners and various business to run a special auction - It was bit of bugger to get in the mall as doors had to come off - and CTV filmed it

Not only did they import impulses they imported several Skyline GT-Rs ; Mitsubishi 3000 GTs as I believe several OPELS!
008 Julian W

Re: Grey Imports

Postby 026 Nik » 21 Aug 2012, 10:45

The term Grey Imports comes from the UK, it refers to second hand imports.
026 Nik

Re: Grey Imports

Postby 008 Julian W » 21 Aug 2012, 16:30

Yes Grey Imports is the term in the UK for second hand cars although it did encompass new cars as well Autocar wrote a piece on it in 1974! - There was huge boom in 1970-1978 in the UK of importing US cars (particularly 1974 as UK Govt was going tax the imports harder..) - some very obsure versions were imported like the AMC Matador Coupe (rounded ugly version) which I believe 2 were imported 1 been the motor show car - sadly this and others have met their death on the Banger races over there particularly huge influx of US tin was destroyed late 1990s to early 0s - there is site on the web which documents those cars destoyed some still carried their orig registration plates!

But as regard the Isuzus in NZ and others these were brand new cars - and imported without the support of GM - GM NZ were not happy that Dealers were going outside their network - Prehaps some additional Opels were brought in as well.....and maybe because dealers were gaining experience in importing these new car imports may helped start the Jap import second hand market.. in greater numbers

I know when I lived in CHCH in 1990-1992 period I saw 2 Toyota Century V8 sedans & 1 Nissan President V8 on the Lytterton Wharfs

Look whats happening at present - UK cars are increasing been imported - Yikes with all that salt ....
008 Julian W

Return to Car & General Chat