Monzas in Australia

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Monzas in Australia

Postby 014 Phil » 25 Apr 2012, 17:29

(incl Royale coupe)

The most famous!! HDT Monza, imported new by HDT Special Vehicles late '83 & converted to V8. Planned to go into low volume production, it never got beyond the one prototype vehicle.

The black car runs a VK Commodore front, and has standard running-gear & interior.

Grey car is a beast, with a 355 stroker! VH Commodore front & interior.

This Monza is basically standard, apart fron the wheels.

The Royale I sold, as the one I'm working on came up & was in better condition. I don't know what happened with this car.
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Re: Monzas in Australia

Postby 014 Phil » 27 Apr 2012, 23:15

This is the one I'm currently working on, pictured on the day I picked it up.

This is the only pic I could find of the Monza with the VL Calais front. It runs a 308 Holden V8.

It was/is(?) in a museum in Western Australia, along with the following one. No info known, but certainly doesn't have a stock exhaust!!

This one is in Queensland, but photo was taken when it was still in Germany. I understand this is basically stock & LHD.

This one is also in Queensland, & is currently undergoing major bodywork & will also get a heart transplant.
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Postby 061 Leigh » 07 Jun 2012, 16:06

Hey Phil,

The guy in WA has about 5 Monza's.

One is an ex Victorian car, pale green metallic with a VL front. MONZA 1 number plate, this is the one you have pictured.

The late Norm Gown had 2. One was a white one that was for sale at John Mann's car yard in Shepparton in the late 80's. John wanted more than I wanted to pay so I let it go. Norm later bought a metallic brown late model Monza and subsequently sold the white car to someone who was going to turn it into a racecar. I have no idea whatever happened to the white car but the brown one is the other one you posted a picture of in the WA collection. Norm ran a performance engine shop in Box Hill so it got suitably motivated.

There is(was?) a very nice pale metallic blue one here in Melbourne owned by a disabled chap. I have not seen it for quite a while also.

Adam Vella in Sydney has one in his collection.

Also there was a Vauxhall Royale Coupe in Queensland. I had bought it and was going up there to drive it home when I found out the guy had traded it in to a caryard, who now wanted much more than the original agreed price. Needless to say I told them what they could do with it. Many years later it turned up on Ebay in a Queensland Holden Wreckers. Dont Know where it ended up but is probably now a Commodore.

Cheers, Leigh.
061 Leigh

Postby 001 Neville » 08 Jun 2012, 01:06

Interesting to hear there are so many Monzas over in Aus after all! Were they sold from dealers like here for a few years, or are they all personal imports?

If you come across any owners, please pass on the OpelForum details.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 026 Nik » 08 Jun 2012, 08:46

001 Neville wrote:Interesting to hear there are so many Monzas over in Aus after all! Were they sold from dealers like here for a few years, or are they all personal imports?

They werent sold new in OZ.
026 Nik

Postby 001 Neville » 08 Jun 2012, 12:56

026 Nik wrote:
001 Neville wrote:Interesting to hear there are so many Monzas over in Aus after all! Were they sold from dealers like here for a few years, or are they all personal imports?

They werent sold new in OZ.

I thought not. So I guess there are probably at least a dozen Monzas around Oz based on the eight or so that we are aware of.....

... including this brown one in the collection south of Sydney.

OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Return to Car & General Chat