Multiple Monzas

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Multiple Monzas

Postby 014 Phil » 24 Apr 2012, 01:49

I attended a charity fundraiser on Saturday night at Harry's Cafe de Wheels. How often do you see three Monzas in the same place on the same day?? This is potentially 100% of Monzas registered in NSW!!

Black one has VK Commodore front & still has the Opel 3 lt 6-cyl. Light grey car has VH Commodore front & features a 355 stroker. Hopefully no explanation needed for the Brock Monza. :D
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Re: Multiple Monzas

Postby 001 Neville » 24 Apr 2012, 12:34

Great to see there were a few more Monzas made it to Aus, Phil. The owners are evidently Holden enthusiasts, but if they are interested in the Opel heritage, you can point them in this direction :wink: Do you want an OpelForum window sticker sent over?

Have you heard of any other Monzas in Australia? There was the one you sold, a brown one at Goulburn at one stage. Adam & Kath have one at that museum too.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 026 Nik » 24 Apr 2012, 17:16

I see you have taken the Momo Stars off the Brock Monza Phil?
026 Nik

Postby 014 Phil » 25 Apr 2012, 13:49

My guess on the number of Royale coupes/Monzas in Australia is more more than 10 but less than 20. :shock: I know of four registered cars in NSW. I will start another thread on known cars, so it can grow as I find out about more.

Sticker sounds good Neville, but I will wait until the Royale is on the road & put it on that. I will also let those owners know about this forum.

Nik, I took the Stars off & replaced them with the Centras a few years ago. When the car was getting all the exposure in the magazines when first released it wore the Centras, and that is how I remember the car, so I wanted to return it to that look.
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Postby 118 Ben N » 27 Apr 2012, 04:33

Phil there is a green Monza with a VL calais front with the pop up headlights,i have a pic of that car somewhere licence plate was VIC i believe...wenni get some time i go look for it...To be honoust it looks really really good.
118 Ben N

Postby 168 Derek S » 27 Apr 2012, 08:27

never fails to amaze me why Holden never used the Monza platform as a Monaro back in the day
looks like the black ones front guard needs some TLC
168 Derek S

Postby 001 Neville » 27 Apr 2012, 12:31

168 Derek S wrote:never fails to amaze me why Holden never used the Monza platform as a Monaro back in the day

I agree, Derek, as it would have fitted as a natural halfway development as a 2 door fastback model between old and the most recent one. There shouldn't have been any "not made here" syndrome since Holden were already taking the Opel Senator/Rekord E as their new VB/VC, but who knows! :roll:
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 020 Brad » 27 Apr 2012, 13:39

It's probably fair to say Holden were somewhat lacking direction at various points during the 80's, with the Nissan engine debarcle among other things. It could have simply come down to trying to reduce costs, as I understand int he late 80's/ealr 90's Holden, among many other manufacturers, were near breaking point.

I like the idea of the VL Calais front on the Monza, it could tie in quite nicely with the "futuristic" styling of the car. I think the biggest thing with the Holden conversions on these cars is tying it right back into the rest of the car, whether it be wheels or rear garnish, lights and bumper, it just needs to flow all the way back to make it look like you haven't just jammed the front end of a Holden, onto the back end of an Opel.
020 Brad

Postby 001 Neville » 27 Apr 2012, 16:37

118 Ben N wrote:Phil there is a green Monza with a VL calais front with the pop up headlights,i have a pic of that car somewhere licence plate was VIC i believe...wenni get some time i go look for it...To be honoust it looks really really good.

Can't imagine it. Post up the pic when you find it please, Ben
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Return to Car & General Chat