Manta coupe with targa roof...

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Manta coupe with targa roof...

Postby 001 Neville » 21 Nov 2011, 14:15

OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Re: Manta coupe with targa roof...

Postby 021 Chad » 21 Nov 2011, 14:18

Love it.
The epitomy of 80's cool.
Yamaha XJR1300
Opel Vectra GT 16v AKA: "Evil Opel", AKA:"The Chavalier"
021 Chad

Postby 168 Derek S » 21 Nov 2011, 14:30

pretty cool original conversion, I have seen a few of these on the net but not many, all have been in Germany
not sure what it would have done to the structural rigidity of the shell but picking they did reinforcements as part of the conversion
one way of getting round the factory sun roof problem in these I guess, but I would much rather have no sun roof and a solid roof any day.
its not until you see how the factory sun roof works (and components used) with the head lining removed that you can work out that any Manta with a sun roof is a potential can of tin worms.
the main problem with the factory sun roof seems to be a layer of foam that works like a sponge and the lack of sealing and rust proofing where the sun roof rails are welded to the underside of the roof skin, rust happens not only around the sun roof frame but all the way back through to the rear screen as the inner frame extends to the rear of the car. the one I had was rotting from the frame out through the roof skin.
I have seen a Manta in the UK that had a Calibra electric sun roof grafted into the Manta roof and that seemed like a better fix than trying to repair the factory sun roof / roof skin. turns out the profile of the Manta and Cabilra roof skins are the same above the side doors, I thought about doing this on the silver Manta but it never happened in the end.
168 Derek S

Postby 001 Neville » 21 Nov 2011, 14:56

It's a "HINTERMEIER power targa roof" apparently. Not sure what is powered about it, but evidently is a German conversion on a lhd car and then registered in UK. Looks very professional.

Maybe belongs to a member of UK Armed Forces based in Germany? The Opels are quite popular with those guys. Ideal job to be able to get to the European meets where they have hundreds of Opels turn up.

168 Derek S wrote:I have seen a Manta in the UK that had a Calibra electric sun roof grafted into the Manta roof and that seemed like a better fix than trying to repair the factory sun roof / roof skin. turns out the profile of the Manta and Cabilra roof skins are the same above the side doors,

I wasn't aware of that, Derek. Makes good sense. I'd like to see one of those done. There's more Calibras being broken so should be possible to pick up a roof panel.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Return to Car & General Chat