Opel/Vauxhall/GM cars covered by this Forum

For non-technical car discussion and general banter and jokes. Keep it clean(ish).

Moderator: 001 Neville

Opel/Vauxhall/GM cars covered by this Forum

Postby 001 Neville » 19 Dec 2007, 19:34

V-cars, the rear wheel drive, straight six CIH engined Opel/Vauxhall cars for a Straight Six Register
    all Opel Monza/Vauxhall Royale Coupe
    all Opel/Vauxhall Senator and Royale Saloon
    all Opel Omega A (6 cylinder models)
    all Opel Commodore A, B and C

4 cylinder Opel/Vauxhall cars
    Opel Omega A
    all Opel Omega B (including V6)
    all Opel Rekord
    all Opel Manta A, B and CC, Vx Cavalier, including Ascona A and B
    all Opel Ascona C/Holden Vectra A and B (including V6)
    all Opel/Holden Calibra (including V6)
    all Opel Kadett, Vauxhall/Holden Astra
    Opel GT
    Opel VX220
    Opel/Vx Tigra
    Opel/Holden Zafira (and rebadged Subaru Traviq)

I've tried to think of all relevant cars. Let me know of any others which come in this era of classic design and styling which you would like to see included.

Other clubs already cover older Vauxhall models in NZ, and newer euro Opel/Holden badged cars, but due to requests, there is now an area for post-2000 cars, and pre-1970s on a trial basis to see what interest there is.
Last edited by 001 Neville on 14 Jan 2008, 23:16, edited 4 times in total.
001 Neville
Site Admin

Opel Monza - GM V Cars

Postby 001 Neville » 26 Dec 2007, 17:03

OPEL MONZA/Vauxhall Royale Coupe

The Opel Monza was introduced into the UK in October 1978 after a European release in the May of the same year. This model was sold in parallel with a rebranded version called the Vauxhall Royale Coupé. The only Monza model that was initially available was the 3.0E with a new 2997cc L-Jetronic fuel injected engine, while the Royale continued with the older 2.8 carburettored engine. The series 1 Monza had chrome bumpers with rubber bump strip, while the Royale had large rubber overriders on the bumpers.
Vx Royale Coupe

Series 2 in NZ with small foam spoiler

Several changes occurred in the range until the 3.0E was replaced by the Series 2 with polycarbonate body colour bumpers and higher specification in February 1983. The Royale model was deleted at the same time as the sporty GSE was launched in March 1984. With an extensive specification, the GSE had only one major production change of a 4 speed auto transmission replacing the three-speed.
Top of range GSE model. Note the large tail spoiler

Two other options were ABS and self-levelling suspension as offered on the Senator. The Monza model was discontinued from January 1987 with the impending introduction of the Carlton/Omega A and Series 3 Senator.

Series 2 and GSE Monzas were sold new in NZ, but I am unable to confirm exact numbers. According to LTSA statistics, there are about 20 Opel Monzas currently registered on NZ roads, less any that may have been wrecked and dismantled for parts. I am aware of at least 2 Vauxhall Royale Coupes with the 2.8 engine in NZ and 2 more in Australia, which would all have been personal imports at some time.

The following specifications are for a 1985 Monza GSE.

Interior Features

Recaro front seats with adjustable length cushions
Cloth trimmed front head restraints
Velour cloth door panels
Continental-style front floor armrests
Leather covered, tiltable four-spoke steering wheel
Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) instrumentation
Rev. counter, voltmeter, oil pressure gauge
Seven function trip computer
Digital clock with integral trip computer
Headlamps-on warning buzzer
Illuminated cigar lighter
DC751 stereo radio/stereo cassette player with four speakers
Cassette storage facility
Illuminated, lockable glovebox
Illuminated vanity mirror
Integral map-reading lights
Four-speed heater fan
Rear passenger heating ducts
50/50 split rear seat
Hinged and carpeted load compartment cover
Carpeted load compartment
Courtesy light with delay cut-off
Extensive sound insulation
Velour carpeting
Colour keyed A-pillar mouldings
Carpeted front footwell side panels
Internal bonnet release
Illuminated load area
One front and two rear ashtrays
Inertia reel front seat belts
Front passenger assist handle and two rear assist straps
Integrated centre console
Side window demist vents
Spare wheel cover
Roll-over bar

Exterior Features

Five speed gearbox
Power assisted steering
Two-door central locking
Alloy road wheels
Ultra-low profile radial tyres
Sports suspension
Limited slip differential
Laminated windscreen with graduated tint shadeband
Green tinted glass
Electrically operated front windows
Hinged rear windows
Sliding/tiltable steel sunroof with air deflector
Halogen headlamps
Long range 'pencil beam' driving lights integral with headlamps
Integral front halogen fog lamps
Reversing lamps
Integral twin rear fog lamps
Two-speed windscreen wipers with intermittent wipe
Intermittent tailgate wash/wipe
Electrically operated and heated door windows
Heated rear window
Rear tailgate spoiler
Sill extensions
Bodyside protection mouldings
Electrically operated aerial
Underbonnet lamp
Tool kit
GSE decals on bonnet, doors and tailgate
Two tone horn
Acrylic rear panel
Locking fuel cap
Side repeat indicators

Options
Air conditioning
4-speed automatic gearbox (no-cost option)
Inertia reel rear seat belts/centre lap belt
Two coat metallic paint (no-cost option)
Electric operation of sunroof
ABS anti-lock braking system
Black paint (no-cost option)

Technical Specifications

Engine
3.0i cam-in-head, 6-cylinder engine features: Bosch LE-Jetronic fuel injection, deceleration fuel cut-off, idle air control, automatic cold start system, electronic breakerless ignition with electronic ignition timing, hydraulic tappets, viscous drive cooling fan, 12 crankshaft counterbalance weights, thermostatically controlled engine oil cooler.
Hp (DIN) 180.0 @ 5800 rpm.
Torque (Max) 182.9 lb/ft @ 4200 rpm.
Compression ratio: 9.4:1 (4-star fuel)
Maximum speed 133.6mph (manual), 127.4 (automatic)

Transmission
5-speed all-syncromesh gearbox with centre-console shift. GM automatic transmission, floor mounted T-bar shift lever optional at no extra cost.
Final drive ratios: manual 3.45:1; auto 3.45:1

Suspension
Front: Independent. MacPherson struts with gas pressure damper cartridge, uprated coil springs. Anti-roll bar.
Rear: Independent, semi-trailing arms and progressive miniblock coil springs with gas-pressure telescopic dampers. Anti-roll bar.

Brakes
Dual circuit, servo-assisted, with 10.7 inch diameter ventilated discs with floating calipers at the front, 11.0 inch diameter solid discs with fixed calipers at the rear. Pressure conscious reducing valve. Handbrake and brake fluid loss warning light.

Steering
Re-circulating ball system, power assisted. Energy-absorbing steering column. Turning circle, 32.3ft. 4 turns lock-to-lock.

Wheels/tyres
6Jx15 alloy wheels in anthracite, 205/60 VR 15 ultra-low profile radial tyres.

Electrics
12 volt negative earth system. 55 Ah battery. 65 amp alternator. Electronic transistorised breakerless ignition with Hall sensor.

Fuel capacities
15.4 gallons (70 litres)

Boot capacity
Total capacity: 26.5 cubic feet
Capacity under parcel shelf: 12.4 cubic feet

Weights
Kerb weight: 1370kg (manual), 1415kg (automatic)
Gross vehicle weight: 1935kg
Last edited by 001 Neville on 26 Mar 2008, 22:06, edited 7 times in total.
001 Neville
Site Admin

Opel Senator - GM 'V' Cars

Postby 001 Neville » 26 Dec 2007, 17:34

OPEL SENATOR A and B

Senator A

Senator A2

The Senator 'A' and upgraded Senator Series 2 that was sold alongside the Monza 3.0E and GSE respectively in Europe were never sold new here in NZ, however Holden took the Senator A body and rebranded it as their new Commodore VC models with a variety of engines up to the 5.0 V8.
The Commodore VC was based on Opel Senator/Rekord E using the longer bonnet from the Opel Senator/Monza, but wide range of engines from 1.9 four cylinder to Brock 5 litre!

The Vauxhall-badged Royale saloon was also never sold new in NZ.

The Series 3 Senator or Senator 'B' was launched in Europe in May 1987 with an original line-up of CIH inline six cylinder engines, with 2.5i, 3.0i and high specification 3.0i 12valve CD. In October 1989, the 3.0i 24valve CD was added to the range with a price premium over the 12v CD. Of these, only the 3.0i and 12valve CD appear to have been imported to NZ.

In 1991, the 2.5i engine was discontinued due to the introduction of catalytic converters across the range. This engine was replaced by the 2.6i engine which pushed out the same power with 'cats' as the, now replaced, 2.5i. In 1992 the base 3.0i was removed from the range and the 3.0i CD was discontinued in 1993 along with the base 2.6i. A new 2.6i CD was introduced and sold for a year, of which there are a few in NZ.

The 3.0i 24V CD was sold for a short period in the UK as the only model in the line up until the Senator's replacement by the Omega B in 1994.

Specification for 3.0i Senator

Leather trim seats
Open-type adjustable front & rear head restraints
Fully reclining front seats with valances
Height adjustable driver's seat
Height adjustable front passenger's seat
Front seats with two-way lumbar adjustment
Electrically heated front seats
Net pockets on front seat backs
Front seat centre armrest in leather or Kendal wool trim depending on seat trim specified
Split-folding rear seat back
Fold-down rear seat centre armrest with load-through facility

Facia, Instruments and Controls
Colour-keyed facia with wood veneer inserts
Leather trimmed centre console with wood veneer inserts
Rev counter, trip odometer, water temperature gauge, instrument panel light dimmer
Multi-function check control warning panel and low fuel level warning light
Leather trimmed four spoke steering wheel
Tiltable steering column
Lockable, illuminated glovebox.

Heating and Ventilation
Air blend heater with 5-speed fan and illuminated controls
Automatic temperature control with variable side-to-side settings
Side window demist vents and adjustable face-level air vents
Rear passenger compartment heating ducts
Adjustable rear ventilation nozzles
Full air conditioning, including glovebox, with push button operation

Audio Equipment
4870 stereo radio/cassette/compact disc (CD) player with removable display, boot mounted 10 disc autochanger & 6 speakers
Security code protection for audio equipment
Radio data system (RDS EON) with Traffic Programme
Cassette storage facility in front centre armrest
Electrically operated aerial

Interior Lighting
Interior courtesy light, with delay cut-off, operated by front and rear door switches
Adjustable map reading lights integral with courtesy light
Rear reading lights
Illuminated glovebox, boot and engine compartment
Additional Interior Features
5-position height adjustable inertia reel front/rear seat belts and centre static lap belt
Front seat belt buckle mounted on seat frame
Soft-feel tiltable front and rear assist handles with coat hooks
Internal bonnet release, tiltable/illuminated fusebox, steering column lock
One-piece moulded headlining with soft-feel padding, soft-feel A-pillar covers
Leather covered handbrake handle/gaiter
Velour carpet on rear parcel shelf, velour carpeted boot with sill protection, carpeted rear seat back
Provision for load retention straps in boot
Spare wheel cover
Velour door trim panels with wood veneer inserts, carpeted front door pockets, continental-style front door armrests
Illuminated front and rear cigar lighters, front ashtray with fingertip control and two rear ashtrays
Fabric covered twin sunvisors, height adjustable dipping rear view mirror
Illuminated vanity mirror with cover for driver and front passenger
Retractable rear window sunblinds
Colour-keyed cut-pile velour carpet
Velour covered lower instrument panel, velour carpeted boot
8-piece chrome-plated tool kit

Exterior Styling
Dark grey bumpers and side protection mouldings with bright insert
Body colour front and rear under bumper valance, lower part of valance in black
Aerodynamic sill mouldings in grey, bootlid spoiler with bright insert
Body colour door mirror housings and door handles
Double coachline stripe
Twin rectangular exhaust tailpipes (3.0i 24V ONLY)
Wheels & Tyres
205/65 VR 15 low profile tyres (2.6i/3.0i)
205/65 ZR 15 low profile tyres (3.0i 24V)
7J x 15 spoked alloy road wheels with anti-theft centre caps

Additional Exterior Features
Green tinted glass all round
Electrically operated front and rear windows with one touch operation
Auto-reverse safety facility for electrically operated windows
Central locking (doors, boot/tailgate, fuel flap) with security deadlock and torch key
Ultrasonic security alarm system with immobiliser
Electrically operated sliding/tiltable glass sunroof with interior blind
Heated rear window with automatic timed cut-off and manual override
Heated twin jet windscreen washer nozzles
Twin electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors
2-speed windscreen wipers plus intermittent and flick wipe. Electric screenwash
Boot pushlock
Twin gas assisted bonnet struts
2-tone horn

Engines
3.0i (2969cc) producing 177PS (130kW) @ 5800 rpm and 177.0 lb.ft. (240Nm) of torque @ 4200 rpm. 6-cylinder, cam-in-head, hydraulic tappets ,temperature-controlled viscous drive cooling fan, 12 crankshaft counterbalance weights, thermostatically controlled engine oil cooler. Bosch Motronic fuel injection system. Computer controlled multi-point fuel injection and ignition. Two ceramic monolith 3-way catlytic converters and Lambda sensor. Compression ratio 9.2:1.

3.0i 24V (2969cc) Cat generating 204 PS (150kW) @ 6000 rpm and 199.2 lb.ft. (270Nm) of torque @ 3600 rpm. 6-cylinder, dual overhead camshaft, 24 valve alloy cylinder head, Dual Ram intake system, hydraulic tappets, 12 crankshaft counterbalance weights and thermostatically controlled engine oil cooler. Motronic M1.5 engine management system. Computer controlled fuel injection and mapped ignition with selective knock control. Activated charcoal evaporation control canister. Two metallic monolith 3-way catlytic converters and Lambda sensor. Compression ratio 10.0:1.

Transmission
Manual: Final Drive ratio 3.70:1 Clutch diameter 270mm
Auto: Final Drive ratio 3.70:1
Computer-controlled 4-speed automatic transmission, with three different operating modes for sport, economy and winter driving, standard on Senator 2.6i, Senator 3.0i and Senator 3.0i 24V. 5-speed manual gearbox with mechanical asbestos-free, single plate clutch.

Suspension
Front: Independent. MacPherson struts with gas pressure dampers and coil springs. Anti-roll bar.
Rear: Independent. Multi-link suspension system with progressive rate miniblock coil springs with telescopic gas pressure dampers. Anti-roll bar.
Electronic ride control with sport, medium and comfort settings.

Brakes
Dual circuit, servo assisted.
Front: 11.65 inch diameter self adjusting ventilated disc brakes
Rear: 10.6 inch diameter self adjusting disc brakes
Asbestos-free brake pads. Handbrake-on and low brake fluid warning light. Front brake pad wear warning light. Plastic coated brake pipes. Electronic antilock braking system (ABS).

Electrics
90 amp alternator
66 Ah maintenance-free battery

Boot Capacity (VDA method)
530 litres (18.7 cu. ft.)

Wheels
7J x 15 spoked alloy wheels with anti-theft lockable centre caps

Tyres
205/65 ZR 15 low profile tyres (2.6i/3.0i)
205/65 ZR 15 low profile tyres (3.0i 24V)

Fuel Capacities
16.5 Imperial Gallons (75 litres)

Steering
ZF Servotronic speed sensitive power assisted recirculating ball system.
Energy absorbing steering column.
3.2 turns lock-to-lock.
Turning circle - 10.1m (33.1 ft)
Last edited by 001 Neville on 26 Mar 2008, 22:09, edited 6 times in total.
001 Neville
Site Admin

Opel Omega A - GM 'V' cars

Postby 001 Neville » 26 Dec 2007, 17:49

OPEL OMEGA GSI/EVO500/LOTUS

The Omega GSi 3000 was introduced in Europe in 1987 as a spiritual successor to the Opel Monza GSE, but was only produced as a 4 door saloon. Smaller engined versions were produced in 2.4 4 cylinder and 2.6 litre 6 cylinder inline engines, and all the Omega range was sold new in NZ. The Omega model name was not used for the NZ market as Subaru already used the Omega name for one of their range, so this Opel was known as the GSi 3000. The UK range was known as the Vauxhall Carlton.

The GSi was released with a 3.0i 12V engine mated to either a 5-speed manual gearbox or optional automatic transmission. The 3.0i 12V engine was used in the GSi until October 1989 when the 3.0i 24V engine was introduced to compete with (and beat!) cars like the Mercedes 300CE and BMW 535i Sport. The 3.0i 24V engine was used in the GSi until the Carlton was replaced in 1994. Minor styling changes were applied in October 1990 for the 1991 model year which included new 10-spoke alloys, revised interior, smoked rear lamp clusters, larger front indicators and improved in-car entertainment.

There was also a wagon (estate) version released with the 12V and then the 24V engines.

The Lotus Carlton was an extraordinary project that was born out of the enthusiasm of some senior executives at General Motors (Bob Eaton, president of GM Europe) and Lotus (Mike Kimberly, MD of Lotus). Lotus was acquired by GM in 1986 some time after Colin Chapman died, and this amazing project was started in 1988. The original concept was to create a compound-charged (turbo-charged and super-charged) Senator. For whatever reason this idea evolved into the Lotus Carlton, which to this day is, still, the fastest production saloon car in the world. Only 950 cars were produced, although the original plan was to produce 1100 (440 for the UK and the rest for Europe). Of the 950 produced, only 250 came to the UK in RHD layout although there are an increasing number of LHD cars appearing in the UK badged as Lotus Omegas (the Opel equivalent). The Lotus Carlton hit the streets in September 1990 and was available until early 1994. Despite the phenomenal performance of these cars, sales were slow with a hefty price tag of £48000.

The Omega Evolution 500 saw first production in 1991 and was Irmscher's answer to the Lotus Carlton/Omega. The cars were all built in the Irmscher factory and of the 500 built for road use, 463 had modified 3.0 litre 24V engines pushing out around 230bhp. 36 of the cars had the optional 272bhp 4.0 litre Irmscher conversion and one car that was not sold had a prototype 3.6 litre 24V engine. The car also features an Irmscher EVO 500 bodykit and 8 x 18" 10-spoke alloys front and rear. All of the vehicles were originally manufactured for the German market, however, the cars have now found they way all over Europe including 1 in Finland, 1 in Norway, 2 in Sweden and 2 in the UK. Both of the UK cars are AutobahnStormers members. The Omega Evolution 500 was also used in the DTM championship in 1991 through to 1993 and was raced by teams sponsored by Opel Works/Irmscher, Commodore Computers, Tura, Dekra, Jägermeister and Cricket by drivers such as Engstler, Niedzwiedz, Strycek, Oberndorfer, Delcourt and Reuter.

The GSi 3000 specification is as follows:

Seats
Arizona cloth in combination with leather trim
Open-type adjustable front & rear head restraints
Fully reclining sports style front seats with valances
Height adjustable driver's seat
Height adjustable front passenger's seat
Front seats with two-way lumbar adjustment
Height adjustable inertia reel front/rear seat belts and centre static lap belt
Front seat centre armrest
Split-folding rear seat back
Fold-down rear seat centre armrest with load-through facility

Facia, Instruments and Controls
Rev counter, trip odometer, water temperature gauge, low fuel level warning light
Multi-function check control warning panel
Seven-function trip computer
Leather covered 4-spoke sports steering wheel
Leather covered gear knob and gaiter (with manual gearbox)
Tiltable steering column. Steering column lock
Lockable, illuminated glovebox. Instrument panel light dimmer
Quartz clock (within trip computer) and cigar lighter

Heating and Ventilation
Air blend heater with 5-speed fan and illuminated controls
Side window demist vents and adjustable face-level air vents
Rear passenger compartment heating ducts

Audio Equipment
4870 stereo radio/stereo cassette/compact disc (CD) player with removable display, boot mounted 10 disc autochanger & 6 speakers
Security code protection for audio equipment
Radio data system (RDS EON) with Travel Programme
Cassette storage area
Rear screen aerial

Interior Lighting
Interior courtesy light operated by front and rear door switches
Courtesy light with delay cut-off and integral, adjustable map reading lights
Illuminated glovebox, load area and engine compartment

Additional Interior Features
Tiltable front and rear assist handles with rear coat hooks
Carpeted rear parcel shelf (saloon). One piece soft touch moulded headlining
Fully carpeted boot/load area with sill protection. Carpeted rear seat back
Spare wheel cover (saloon). Provision for luggage retention straps in boot/load area
Cloth door trim panels, front door pockets, continental-style front and rear door armrests
Front ashtray with one touch opening and two rear ashtrays
Height adjustable dipping rear view mirror, passenger vanity mirror, twin sun visors
Illuminated passenger vanity mirror with cover
Illuminated driver's vanity mirror with cover
Cut-pile velour carpet

Mechanical
5-speed gearbox
Power assisted steering
Catalytic converter
Electronic anti-lock braking system (ABS)
Limited-slip differential
Semi-trailing arm independent rear suspension
Manual rear suspension levelling system
Cruise control

Exterior Lighting
Halogen headlamps
Lights-on warning buzzer
Twin reversing lights
Twin rear fog lamps
Dark style rear lamps
Hazard warning lights and parking lights
Side repeat indicators
Electric headlamp levelling system
Integral halogen front foglamps
Long range halogen driving lights with headlamps
Headlamp wash/wipe

Exterior Styling
Boot pushlock with handle
Body colour door handles
Body colour polyurethane front air dam and rear valance. Dark grey bodyside mouldings
Body colour door mirror housings
Body colour sill mouldings, specific front grille and rear aerofoil
Dual rectangular exhaust tailpipes

Wheels & Tyres
205/65 R 15 low profile tyres
7J x 15 alloy road wheels

Additional Exterior Features

Green tinted glass all round
Electrically operated front and rear windows with one touch operation
Auto-reverse safety facility for electrically operated windows
Central locking (doors, boot/tailgate, fuel flap) with security deadlock and torch key
Electrically operated sliding/tiltable glass sunroof with interior blind
Ultrasonic security alarm with immobiliser
Heated rear window with automatic timed cut-off and manual override
Heated twin jet windscreen washer nozzles
Twin electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors
2-speed windscreen wipers plus intermittent and flick wipe. Electric screenwash
2-tone horn

Engine
3.0i 24V (2969cc) Cat generating 204 PS (150kW) @ 6000 rpm and 199.2 lb.ft. (270Nm) of torque @ 3600 rpm. 6-cylinder, dual overhead camshaft, 24 valve alloy cylinder head, Dual Ram intake system, hydraulic tappets, 12 crankshaft counterbalance weights and thermostatically controlled engine oil cooler. Motronic M1.5 engine management system. Computer controlled fuel injection and mapped ignition with selective knock control. Activated charcoal evaporation control canister. Two metallic monolith 3-way catalytic converters and Lambda sensor. Compression ratio 10.0:1.

Transmission
Manual. Final drive ratio 3.70:1 Clutch diameter 240mm
Auto. Final drive ratio 3.70:1
Hydraulically operated mechanical asbestos-free single plate clutch. Rear wheel drive.

Suspension
Front: Independent. MacPherson struts with damper cartridge, coil springs. Anti-roll bar. Negative scrub. Gas pressure dampers.
Rear: Independent. Semi-trailing arms and progressive rate miniblock coil springs with telescopic gas pressure dampers. Anti-roll bar. Lowered and uprated suspension with multi-link system at rear.

Brakes
Dual circuit, servo assisted.
Front: 11.7 inch diameter discs
Rear: 10.6 inch diameter discs
Ventilated front discs. Deceleration controlled proportioning valve on estate cars. Asbestos-free brake pads. Handbrake-on and low brake fluid warning light. Front brake pad wear warning light. Electronic antilock braking system (ABS).

Electrics
90 amp alternator
66 Ah maintenance-free battery

Load Capacities (VDA method) litres (cu.ft.)
Seat up 520 (18.4) Seat down 870 (30.7)

Wheels & Tyres
7J x 15 ten-spoke alloy wheels
6J x 15 steel spare
205/65 R 15 low profile

Fuel Capacities
16.5 Imperial Gallons (75 litres)

Steering
Power assisted recirculating ball system.
Energy absorbing steering column.
3.0 turns lock-to-lock.
Turning circle - 10.15m (33.3 ft)

Body
Aerodynamic drag co-efficients:
GSi Saloon - Cd 0.30
Last edited by 001 Neville on 26 Mar 2008, 22:21, edited 4 times in total.
001 Neville
Site Admin

GM 'V' cars - Commodore/Rekord

Postby 001 Neville » 26 Dec 2007, 18:03

OPEL COMMODORE A/B/C and Rekord C/D/E

Commodore A/Rekord C - Production 1968 - 1972

This early Commodore/Rekord was a rare sight in NZ, and were available in 2 and 4 door saloon body, plus the more desirable 2 door fastback model. The Commodore had the 2500cc inline six cylinder engine while the Rekord had the smaller 1900cc four cyliner engine. I know of one 4 door saloon Commodore, and a couple of the Rekord fastback models in NZ at this time, but have heard there may be others in private collections.

Uprated Rekord Sprint with twin carb engine and Commodore 5 stud hubs and running gear

Commodore B/Rekord D - Production 1972 - 1976

Only a handful of these cars were sold new in NZ, however a few were also imported privately, including a left hand drive model that I came across recently.

The Opel Commodore B was introduced into the UK in 1972, replacing the Commodore A series, and as the "big brother" 6 cylinder model to the Opel Rekord D 4 cylinder models. There was no Vauxhall parallel model at this time. Initially sold with 2.5, 2.8 carburated and 2.8 fuel injected engines, the less popular 2.5 135bhp engine was used only in the Rekord D from 1974. There were 2 and 4 door versions of the Commodore GS (2.8 carb) 155bhp and luxury GS/E (2.8 inj).

The Rekord offered 1.9 and 2.5 petrol plus a 2.1 diesel engine with saloon, coupe and estate (wagon) body shape.

The Commodore B was replaced in 1976 by the Commodore C/Rekord E model which were not very popular and these last series were replaced by the Senator A model in 1978.
Opel Commodore C, used as basis for Holden Commodore VB.

The following specifications are for a 1976 Commodore GS 2.8 (with GS/E variations in brackets)

Interior Features
Multi-control ventilation with 2 speed fan
Halogen headlamps
Two speed electric windscreen wipers
Electric windscreen washers with headlamp wash-wipe system
Two-tone horn
Speedometer with odometer and trip odometer
Tachometer
Gauges for temperature, voltmeter and oil pressure
Warning lamps for ignition, oil pressure, turn signals, parking brake and high beam
Emergency 4 way flasher button
Illuminated electric clock
Illuminated glove compartment
Combined steering and ignition lock
Glareproof interior rearview mirror
Two padded sun visors
Sports steering wheel
Fully adjustable bucket seats with removable headrests
Tunnel console with ashtray and cigar lighter
Spare wheel upright at side of luggage compartment
Four speed manual gearbox with floor mounted selector
Electrically heated rear window demister
Inertia reel 3 point seat belts for front seats
Toolkit
Carpet
Cloth trim
Coat hooks
Dashboard operated boot release (GS/E only)

Exterior Features
Pencil beam long range spots mounted on front bumper (GS only)
Laminated windshield (GS/E tinted and shade band)
Front spoiler (GS/E only)
Limited slip differential
Gas filled shock absorbers
Ventilated front disc brakes (GS/E discs front and rear)
Power assisted steering
Hinged rear windows (2dr model)
Locking fuel cap

Options
3 speed auto transmission
Sunroof (standard on GS/E)
Metallic paint
Tinted glass (standard on GS/E)
Vinyl roof (colour co-ordinated for GS/E only)

Technical Specifications

Engines:
GS 2.8HC
The GS 2.8HC engine is a liquid cooled six cylinder in-line high cam unit. Hydraulic valve lifters. Steel forged crankshaft, twin choke down-draught carbs with auto choke. Automatic ignition advance by centrifugal force and vacuum. Replaceable full flow oil filter.
Bhp 158.0 @ 5300 rpm.
Torque (Max) 174 lb/ft @ 4000 rpm.
Compression ratio: 9.5:1 (4-star 98 octane fuel)
Maximum speed 125 mph (manual), 123 mph (automatic)

GS/E 2.8EC
The 2.8EC engine fitted to the GS/E is identical to the GS 2.8HC engine other than the fuel injection replacing the twin choke carbs. Some of the stats below are boosted by this variation.
Bhp 175 @ 5,600rpm
Torque 182 lb/ft @ 4,500rpm
Compression ratio: 9.5:1 (4-star 98 octane fuel)
Maximum speed 132 mph (manual), 126 mph (automatic)

Transmission
4-speed all-syncromesh gearbox with centre-console shift. GM automatic transmission, floor mounted T-bar shift lever optional at no extra cost.
Final drive ratios: 2.8/GS (manual), 3.45:1 2.8 GS/E (manual), 3.45:1

Suspension
Front: Independent. Telescopic gas shock absorbers, coil springs. Anti-roll bar.
Rear: live, coil springs on trailing arms,lateral track bar, telescopic gas shock absorbers. Anti-roll bar.

Brakes
Dual circuit, servo-assisted, with 10.55 inch diameter ventilated discs at the front, 10.79 inch diameter solid discs at the rear.

Steering
Re-circulating ball system, power assisted. Energy-absorbing steering column. Turning circle, 36.7ft.

Wheels/tyres
Steel 6Jx14 sports wheels with 175HR-14 XAS radial tyres (GS only)
Ronal alloy 6J-14 wheels with 195HR-14 tyres (GS/E only).

Electrics
12 volt negative earth system. 44 Ah battery. 55 amp alternator.

Weights
Kerb weight: Saloons 2690lbs Coupe 2635lbs
Gross vehicle weight: 3784lbs

Dimensions
Overall length 181"
Overall width 68"
Overall height 55.5"
Wheelbase 105"
Track front 55.5"
Track rear 55.1"
001 Neville
Site Admin