After EQ Clear Out

Opel/Vauxhall/GM Forum members' cars and parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: 001 Neville

Re: After EQ Clear Out

Postby 004 Jim » 09 Sep 2012, 11:33

1987Ascona.jpg
Yes the 1987 Ascona is still here in addition a seperate and large number of new spares such as complete new headlights; engine valves; gasket sets; head bolts; hubcaps; exhaust header (factory down-pipes); CV joints (from memory) etc. etc. They are priced in addition to the car and not inclusive. Also have a spare used 2.0 motor and box unit from a Camira and the powersteering unit (the only factory option missing from the Ascona was factory power steering - someone at GM Trentham forgot to tick that box on the spec sheet the original owner told me (he was an ex-GM exec. and it was his company car which he kept when he left GM Trentham).

Pic attached - note it no longer has the BBS mags as they were not a factory accessory (I put them on) - they fit my 1972 GT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
004 Jim

Postby 225 Pete R » 09 Sep 2012, 23:21

How far off road going are the better examples of the Monza and Senator?
225 Pete R

Postby 004 Jim » 09 Sep 2012, 23:30

They were everyday users before being parked up and the regos put on hold. Have not been started since the Earthquakes but were very good runners before that. Now need new batteries to start up again. Both have near new tyres and were warranted before being stored. The 1986 Monza needs the rear seal in the auto replaced to be fully OK again - I have one that is supposed to fit. Had far bigger fish to fry for the last couple of years!
The other 'parts' Senator also has rego on hold and it was a good runner too. The 'parts' Monza was off the road and dereg when I got it but was drivable then as was the Ascona. Hope that helps.
004 Jim

Postby 233 Jon Mc » 10 Sep 2012, 10:49

Since you'd be willing to sell some of your Ascona spares separately to the car itself, I'd be interested in some bits, especially the CV joints if they'd fit my JB Camira? Would love to take on the Ascona (was it NZ new?!) but realistically I couldn't see how I'd get it up here, or where I'd put it - unless you'd take my Peugeot 505 off my hands! Kind of defeats the object, I suppose....

Anyway, I'm not sure if you're able to PM me, as I wasn't able to send you a PM. Hopefully Trademe would be your friend for offloading the cars you can't sell on here before they get scrapped, as it'd be a real shame to see them go.
233 Jon Mc

Postby 004 Jim » 10 Sep 2012, 11:23

Jeff's car transporters will do door-to-door deliveries - moved my 1972 GT that way.

Will check on the CVs - don't know if the Ascona ones fit but they do use the same series motor and gearbox and are front-wheel drive. Anyway I know I have a set of good used Camira CVs anyway.

$10,000 in storage costs for the cars in the last few years - they have to go ... and even scrapping them stops the storage costs and gives tax write-offs so that is a very viable option now. I have done my bit in trying to save these increasingly rare cars.
004 Jim

Postby 014 Phil » 11 Sep 2012, 02:38

I'd be interested in some pics of the good Monza. Is there rust in the car? If there's no major work required other than the transmission seal, & there's no buyer over there, I may be a starter.
Cheers
Phil
014 Phil

Postby 004 Jim » 11 Sep 2012, 08:35

It is an NZ New 1986 model with little or no rust. There is a bit of damage on one right-hand wing where a steel beam fell against it during an earthquake (historical!) other than that it is very, very straight and near rust free. Had Dunlop Monza 15" tyres put on the optional 15" Monza wheels before it was parked up and was a daily driver before that. A Canterbury car which means that underneath it is very sound since being on the East Coast it is quite dry and no salt is ever used on the roads during Winter. NOT an English import - always been an NZ car. The computer with my camera softwear on it died and am trying to find the disck to load it on to my standby laptop so I can upload pictures from the camera. Might have been in the heaps of stuff cleaned out after quake clean-ups - the place is still not fixed and a bit of a shambles (thanks to slow insurance payouts which still have not happened - two years later!).
004 Jim

Postby 017 Michael » 13 Sep 2012, 21:14

jim

is there anyway the monzas can be released for a cheeper deal,recently bought a house so moneys tight, just dont want to see them scrapped, plus i have use for them
2x86 opel monza
017 Michael

Postby 004 Jim » 13 Sep 2012, 22:22

Monzas - $5,000 for the pair

Same for the Senators

Doesn't even pay for the last few years storage let alone any original price.
004 Jim

Postby 020 Brad » 13 Sep 2012, 22:51

Don't take this the wrong way mate, but putting a vehicle in storage doesn't magically raise it's market value. It's a sad thing in some ways, that the market isn't where it should be in this country for Opel/Vauxhalls, but that is just the nature of them here, as they were a niche market vehicle - which is probably the reason most of us like them over say, a Holden.

As much as we all wish it wasn't the case, we don't always break even on our cars either. Would it not be better to let the cars go to a good home for what you can get for them rather than destroying them for everyone?

I can't put myself in your position, because I simply haven't experienced the hardship that you lot have down there over the last couple of years, but I do feel for you and your situation.

Best of luck with the sales.
020 Brad

Postby 004 Jim » 14 Sep 2012, 00:47

Déjà Vu - had to dump 37 tonnes of Studebaker parts along with seven rare cars some years ago - think I would learn!

How 'cheap' do you all expect these to be?
004 Jim

Postby 001 Neville » 14 Sep 2012, 01:23

020 Brad wrote:Don't take this the wrong way mate, but putting a vehicle in storage doesn't magically raise it's market value. It's a sad thing in some ways, that the market isn't where it should be in this country for Opel/Vauxhalls, but that is just the nature of them here, as they were a niche market vehicle - which is probably the reason most of us like them over say, a Holden.

May improve when and if Opel relaunch themselves in NZ?

Jim, are you around on Saturday? I'm up in Chch with the family, and promised Phil to get some photos of Monzas if that is possible? If I bring a battery, can we try to get them running? When were they last running? Have you got some fuel in a can? May need to jumpstart too.

I said we should have moved that metal beam when there were more people around - going to be a challenge with just the two of us!
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 168 Derek S » 19 Sep 2012, 16:15

020 Brad wrote:Don't take this the wrong way mate, but putting a vehicle in storage doesn't magically raise it's market value. It's a sad thing in some ways, that the market isn't where it should be in this country for Opel/Vauxhalls, but that is just the nature of them here, as they were a niche market vehicle - which is probably the reason most of us like them over say, a Holden.

As much as we all wish it wasn't the case, we don't always break even on our cars either. Would it not be better to let the cars go to a good home for what you can get for them rather than destroying them for everyone?

I can't put myself in your position, because I simply haven't experienced the hardship that you lot have down there over the last couple of years, but I do feel for you and your situation.

Best of luck with the sales.

Got to agree with Brad here and I too feel for your situation in ChCh.
best bet is to stick them on trade me with a low reserve and let the market decide their true value, sounds harsh I know.
not a lot of money flowing in NZ at the moment either
168 Derek S

Postby 127 Gordo » 20 Sep 2012, 03:22

As per above, I know what a heartbreaker it can be having to sell something, you REALLY wish you could keep, at a loss.
Unfortunately, the market doesn't give a damn what something has cost you, whether it was oriinal cost, restoration, storage or whatever - it's just what they can get it for/afford - other wise the $15k plus (original new cost) of old computer gear I have in the spare room wouldn't be worth a hundred bucks at best....

I'm sure the chap is going to offer as much as he can and, while it may come nowhere near what you've spent, at least it's something towards your current costs/expenses and there won't be the further costs of disposal. plus it'd be going somewhere it'll be appreciated!
I can't see you as the sort of idiot who has a fixed idea of what something is worth and, when they don't get offered it, just dump the item(s) rather than taking the best offer, whatever it is, and accepting the loss.
Seen that happen way too often - just like those who get offered a fair sum of money for an abandoned barn/field vehicle and just let them rust away rather than accept what was offered - almost makes you cry sometimes!
Like I said, it hurts, but it's the best thing to do. heck, there have been times I've given stuff away that was just chewing up storage costs to people that I thought needed it more than I did.
127 Gordo

Postby 004 Jim » 21 May 2013, 07:32

Senator sold as 'derby car' - Monza sale fell through due to miscommunication.

Rest sitting and rotting.

People want some of the NEW spares for Ascona, Monzas and Senators - but money and send too addresses never arrive.

Have secured storage till about August.

Then will have to get rid of the lot.

Last chance! I have done my best to save them.
004 Jim

PreviousNext

Return to For Sale/Wanted