1985 Holden JB Camira Wagon - Free!

Opel/Vauxhall/GM Forum members' cars and parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: 001 Neville

1985 Holden JB Camira Wagon - Free!

Postby 233 Jon Mc » 24 Jan 2013, 12:09

Hi everyone.

I'm testing the waters here just to see if anyone's interested in this fine* automotive specimen? As the subject mentions, it's a Holden Camira 1600 5 speed wagon seemingly registered new in 1985 quite a while after the last of the JB Camiras were sold. I picked it up 2 years ago for $500 and at the time it had 5 months rego on it but no WOF. Since then, I've driven it all of about 1km (test drive on a mud track of the seller) and then stored it at a mate's workshop in Taupo, where I then discovered some rot in the floor I'd stupidly overseen in my original inspection, due to the excitement (no, really) of finding such an early wagon since it sparked memories of our much loved 1983 MK II Cavalier Estate back in the UK.

So, here's some pictures:

Dreaded rot in driver's foot well:

These photos were taken when I went to look at it (and the rust when it was back at the workshop) but in all honesty, little has changed other than taking the interior to bits to get a full view of the rot on arrival in Taupo. I'd happily take the time to put it all back together if required. Anyway, I know I'm not sitting on a gold mine here or even have a car of much interest to most people but if someone can make use of it, please get in touch. I'm realistic and don't expect to make my money back but would rather that someone could make a use of it rather than just seeing it go the the wreckers. Still, a few dollars to fund my next purchase wouldn't go amiss.

Anyway, don't all reply at once! :wink:
Last edited by 233 Jon Mc on 16 Jun 2015, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
233 Jon Mc

Re: 1985 Holden JB Camira Wagon

Postby 127 Gordo » 24 Jan 2013, 14:09

Might be a silly question, but is this a FWD or RWD vehicle?
127 Gordo

Postby 020 Brad » 24 Jan 2013, 15:57

Not really silly. I always thought they were RWD like a Gemini when I was younger. It wasn't until I started looking at engine transplant options that I realised they were FWD.

They are based on the FWD Opel Ascona C/Vauxhall Cavalier Mk2 platform.
020 Brad

Postby 168 Derek S » 25 Jan 2013, 23:02

PM sent
168 Derek S

Re: 1985 Holden JB Camira Wagon - FREE!

Postby 233 Jon Mc » 16 Jun 2015, 14:56

2 and a half years later, this is still here! The paint is looking a little worse for wear but I'll let the pictures do the talking:

If this were a VW and it was in Europe, it'd be worth loads of money - you can't fake this level of patina! Joking aside, all the places where I know these failed in the UK - door bottoms, sills, rear arches, bottom of rear tailgate, strut tops - are all solid. The interior's all there and in good condition except for the passenger seat but has been moved to get a better look at the rust. And here it is:

That's the worst bits on the floor from memory, though the passenger side has started to go too, though not as badly. The motor still turns over by hand but it wouldn't start when my mate (who's kindly been storing it in his garden for a couple of months) gave it a go. Reg is on hold, which makes things a bit easier for the brave. I'm fully aware that this is undesirable to most but if anyone can make any use of it and can pick it up, it's theirs. I'd rather it went to some use though, as I could scrap it for cash or demo derby it myself. I don't think I've ever seen another JB on the road and only a couple of wagons, so if this did ever make it back on the road, it'd be pretty unique.

Car is parked in Tokoroa and can be easily pushed on to the street for towing. PM me for a number if you're interested. Please be interested......
233 Jon Mc

Re: 1985 Holden JB Camira Wagon - Free!

Postby 020 Brad » 18 Jun 2015, 18:30

I would love to see this get back on the road. It is a cool little wagon.

But man, what a difficult repair that looks to be! Multiple joins and I believe it is double skinned. It would take quite a skilful person to be able to get that sorted out unfortunately. I would love to tackle it, but I know in a couple of years I would just have to offload it, probably in a worse state than it is now.
020 Brad

Return to For Sale/Wanted