Omega B 3.0L MV6 Estate

Opel/Vauxhall/GM Forum members' cars and parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: 001 Neville

Omega B 3.0L MV6 Estate

Postby 225 Pete R » 20 Aug 2012, 13:02

Omega B isn't sounding at all healthy. It started making a rather alarming engine noise just after it got back from the auto-electricians having had a new ignition contact(/switch) unit put in.

Had the thought that perhaps something went astray with the wiring and the starter motor wasn't disengaging so took it back they quickly checked and found that wasn't the case. They also had a mechanic around to listen, but he couldn't tell me anything without pulling it to bits. Gently took her home, then had a look myself and found that there is definitely feedback coming through the timing cover on the right cylinder bank. As in, put your hand on it and you can 'feel' the noise its making and certainly sounds like that's where the noise is coming from. Haven't looked any further into it because its going to be more than I can afford to fix anyway.

So.. does anyone want a project/parts car before it goes on trademe/to the wreckers?
217,000km
Wof runs out in the next couple of days
Rego 2/2013
Less than 60k since the last cambelt change and it has had a rebuild at some stage due to a cambelt letting go in the past, would've though it was all fine but apparently not..
Previous owner has caught the bottom of the bumper on something and cracked it (if you look closely you can see glue bottom right of image). Clear coat is lifting on the roof.
Also my wife reversed into another stationary car..
So nothing serious and otherwise all straight
Still drives and runs on all six, but I haven't driven it - except to the workshop and back - to avoid doing any further damage.
225 Pete R

Re: Omega B 3.0L MV6 Estate

Postby 001 Neville » 20 Aug 2012, 13:32

That's a real shame, as it's a nice looking car :( What money are you looking for?

I've too many projects on the go already, Pete, or I would have been interested. Have you priced a replacement engine? There was a scruffy MV6 sedan in Chch recently that could be a potential donor otherwise.

Have you spoken to Jim about his Monza?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 225 Pete R » 20 Aug 2012, 13:48

001 Neville wrote:That's a real shame, as it's a nice looking car :( What money are you looking for?

I've too many projects on the go already, Pete, or I would have been interested. Have you priced a replacement engine? There was a scruffy MV6 sedan in Chch recently that could be a potential donor otherwise.

Have you spoken to Jim about his Monza?

Was thinking $1500 but any offers considered.

I haven't looked a replacement engines or even how much work/how much it would be to fix up, don't have another vehicle so need something up and running fairly promptly.

Haven't talked to Jim yet, was hoping to get a better handle on how much I might have to spend first
225 Pete R

Postby 020 Brad » 20 Aug 2012, 14:10

It's a real pitty to see it potentially off the road and a shame I'm not closer so I could take up the opportunity!

Can you describe the sound any further? At this stage I'm thinking it might be a sticky hydraulic lifter if it's ticking loudly, which isn't a major especially if you haven't driven it for some time - they tend to bind up and a bit of running should sort it out. But worse scenarios would be a binding camshalf, or a cam bearing having worn out due to perhaps and oiling issue or similar. This would require a head replacement, and having recently done this in a V6 Vectra (similar engine) I can say it is not a fun or easy job. It would be easier in an Omega though, with a bit more space. I suppose finding a head or even engine at a reasonable price would be the next task, with the 3L X30XE being quite difficult to source.
020 Brad

Postby 002 Lindsay » 20 Aug 2012, 16:25

the cambelt idler and tensioner bearings can set up a racket esp the plastic ones and are known to give problems,if you have a dry or collapsed one ,need to take the covers off that may tell you something ??
002 Lindsay, Nelson
002 Lindsay

Postby 225 Pete R » 20 Aug 2012, 21:47

002 Lindsay wrote:the cambelt idler and tensioner bearings can set up a racket esp the plastic ones and are known to give problems,if you have a dry or collapsed one ,need to take the covers off that may tell you something ??

If that was the case is there the potential that the damage is limited to just the idler/tensioners? perhaps it might be worthwhile taking a further look. It really is a pain though getting at the timing covers on the X30XEs
225 Pete R

Postby 002 Lindsay » 21 Aug 2012, 10:06

they may not be the problem its just that i had a awful noise develop in my omega 3000 1991 and took a while to find where it was coming from it sounded like the timing chain thats where the sound radiated from,but it was one of the idlers that was dry in front of the dizzy,gave a bit of a grease and has been fine since.The cam covers can be a pain to get off, my Vectra 2.5 V6 not much better,and its facing the opposite way,sorry cant be more help.Cheers.
002 Lindsay, Nelson
002 Lindsay

Postby 225 Pete R » 23 Oct 2012, 20:10

225 Pete R

Postby 225 Pete R » 09 Nov 2012, 19:33

This needs to go. Got a job in Australia moving over there in a couple of weeks, out of the house we're in at the end of the week.
225 Pete R

Postby 001 Neville » 09 Nov 2012, 20:55

I'm in Ashburton tomorrow afternoon, so can have a look around the car if anyone wants a second opinion or more photos?

Pete, email or PM me your address/phone number please?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Return to For Sale/Wanted