Moderator: 001 Neville

Re: Wanted: Omega Ign Barrel

Postby 020 Brad » 14 Jun 2012, 21:30

How'd you get on?
020 Brad

Postby 168 Derek S » 15 Jun 2012, 11:44

I am confused.
the base problem was the ignition barrel being damaged, none of the current issues were apparent before you changed the barrel?
The issues have only appeared after installing the commodore barrel?
Have you done any wiring changes?
168 Derek S

Postby 225 Pete R » 15 Jun 2012, 13:51

020 Brad wrote:How'd you get on?

Located it.. and thats about it. Bit hard to get at, couldn't see anything obviously wrong (unplugged etc) but need to have a proper poke around, may have to take a couple of covers off or something.

168 Derek S wrote:I am confused.
the base problem was the ignition barrel being damaged, none of the current issues were apparent before you changed the barrel?
The issues have only appeared after installing the commodore barrel?
Have you done any wiring changes?

Have had troubles with it being a little temperamental before but this refusing to move at all is certainly a new development, wasn't a problem when I towed it over to where it is now, happily let me put it in neutral on the way over. And yes all I did was install a new barrel, I did however disassemble the ignition contact unit inadvertently - meant to remove it but opened up the wrong bit and ended up opening the unit itself. Lots of fiddly bits in there e.g. contact pins, so not something you want to be opening up :oops: . I carefully put it back together but was a bit concerned I may not have got it 100% right.. but then it started fine so I figured it must be fine.

When I first checked the brake lights they were going but later on I was getting a fault - brake tail light - coming up on the trip computer display so there seems to be something going on with the brake switch. But then I was curious to see what was going on with the gear selector, I spent alot of time trying to work that one out. There's an actuator that operates a latch, this latch obviously prevents the selector from moving, however that actuator was working just fine when I hit the brake pedal (hit the brakes the actuator moves unlatching the selector). I couldn't for the life of me work out what other mechanism was preventing the gear selector moving.

So overall rather confused and beginning to wonder if I've just had the poor luck of something else in the gear selector or brake pedal switch department spontaneously breaking at the same time..
225 Pete R

Postby 021 Chad » 15 Jun 2012, 14:25

Could it have been put in 'Park' without the handbrake on?
I know some mechanical link automatics are very hard to get out of park if the vehicles weight is being held by the gearbox.
Yamaha XJR1300
Opel Vectra GT 16v AKA: "Evil Opel", AKA:"The Chavalier"
021 Chad

Postby 127 Gordo » 15 Jun 2012, 22:02

Could it also need the ignition on to unlatch it? I'm thinking of the American stupidity and sue culture - a manual detent before it can be taken out of drive, a brake switcch before it can be taken out of park or neutral and maybe an ignition feed so it can't be taken out by kids playing in the car?
Otherwise, I'd also go for the transmission brake locking pawl being jammed by the vehicle's weight resting on it - can you have someone try rocking it while you try and take it out of park?
127 Gordo

Postby 225 Pete R » 23 Jun 2012, 21:59

Tried rocking it around no joy then did a bit more poking around under the covers on the shifter and figured it out. Jammed mechanism, a pin going through one of the linkages in the assembly was jammed against the mount, can't make any sense of how it got that way in the first place but when I pried it out it went fine.

Brake light messages were a red-herring, once I had her going I had all sorts of crazy electrical issues given the amount of water on the inside of the windows I'd have to put it down to shorting from the moisture.

So after sitting it out in the sun with the doors all open, I drove home with the heater blazing, and parked in the garage at home. Then I get up in the morning, get in the car and we're back to square one....

..ignition doesn't want to take the key gets there with a bit of jiggling but won't turn at all
225 Pete R

Postby 168 Derek S » 24 Jun 2012, 17:11

have you tried moving the steering wheel while trying to turn the key?
your not having much luck with this at all, seems bizarre.
168 Derek S

Postby 001 Neville » 24 Jun 2012, 22:52

OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 001 Neville » 07 Jul 2012, 16:51

OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 225 Pete R » 07 Jul 2012, 17:07

Parts aren't the problem at the moment, need the locksmith to sort things out. They're cutting a fresh key, if that doesn't sort it outright I think the plan involves brute force and a set of vice grips.
225 Pete R

Postby 168 Derek S » 07 Jul 2012, 19:21

225 Pete R wrote:Parts aren't the problem at the moment, need the locksmith to sort things out. They're cutting a fresh key, if that doesn't sort it outright I think the plan involves brute force and a set of vice grips.

I keep thinking its a non compatible ignition barrel myself
168 Derek S

Postby 225 Pete R » 07 Jul 2012, 20:34

168 Derek S wrote:I keep thinking its a non compatible ignition barrel myself

Dimensioning was exactly the same, the two barrels looked identical, plus it worked absolutely fine to begin with. If it isn't compatible someone at GM must've had a cruel and twisted sense of humour because the difference would have to be something extremely subtle.
225 Pete R

Postby 001 Neville » 07 Jul 2012, 21:25

Does it have a chip?
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

Postby 225 Pete R » 07 Jul 2012, 22:29

001 Neville wrote:Does it have a chip?

Immobiliser chip? Nah, after-market uniden alarm that's wired into the ignition system but not physically involved, thats all behaving properly anyway.
225 Pete R

Postby 001 Neville » 07 Jul 2012, 23:55

225 Pete R wrote:
001 Neville wrote:Does it have a chip?

Immobiliser chip? Nah, after-market uniden alarm that's wired into the ignition system but not physically involved, thats all behaving properly anyway.

I was thinking our Zafira has a chip in the key fob to enable central locking etc, whether there is a more sophisticated device in the Omega that enables the ignition to recognise the key? Just a thought.
OpelForum Administrator
001 Neville
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to For Sale/Wanted