Wanted: Omega Ign Barrel

Opel/Vauxhall/GM Forum members' cars and parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: 001 Neville

Re: Wanted: Omega Ign Barrel

Postby 020 Brad » 09 Jul 2012, 12:06

The Omega probably will have a transponder chip in the key that the ignition detects to ensure it is the right key, but I don't think a fault with that system would cause the ignition to lock out. I had it happen with a Vecta B (had a faulty transponder chip in the key) and the ignition would still turn. The engine even started but would then cut out and the engine light would flash on and off.
020 Brad

Postby 225 Pete R » 09 Jul 2012, 12:56

020 Brad wrote:The Omega probably will have a transponder chip in the key that the ignition detects to ensure it is the right key, but I don't think a fault with that system would cause the ignition to lock out. I had it happen with a Vecta B (had a faulty transponder chip in the key) and the ignition would still turn. The engine even started but would then cut out and the engine light would flash on and off.

Transponder system was an option in the omega's, mine doesn't have one. There's an extra sensor bit that goes over the ignition on the ones with the immobiliser system. Temperamental transponder systems are a real nightmare, did you manage to sort it in the Vectra B?
225 Pete R

Postby 020 Brad » 09 Jul 2012, 14:24

Yeap. It was just the key, just needed to use the spare instead. Unfortunately I would have expected a key or lock light to flash on the dash rather than the engine light. Combined with the fact it was starting but then cutting out meant I didn't diagnose the fault before getting the car towed home at some expense :(
020 Brad

Postby 168 Derek S » 09 Jul 2012, 16:45

in the past I have had non transponder keys cut due to cost.
removed the transponder from the old key and double side taped it to the receiver.
168 Derek S

Previous

Return to For Sale/Wanted